[3830] ARRL 10 N6WG SO CW QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 N6WG SO CW QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 20:24:15 -0800
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: N6WG
Operator(s): N6WG
Station: N6WG

Class: SO CW QRP
QTH: Newark CA
Operating Time (hrs): 20

   CW:  244    39
  SSB:
-------------------
Total:  244    39  Total Score = 56,316

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

This contest had a surprising turn to it.  I had been watching
the propagation predictions, and fearing the worst.  Friday afternoon/
evening I worked only 16 stations, and feared that this contest would
be a long hard struggle for minimal results.  This was my first 10m contest, so
I was hoping to set a benchmark to measure myself against for the future.

Saturday morning things began to look up.  By 9AM I had 21 QSOs, and
was hearing more stations.  By 2PM I had 137.  When I quit at 5PM I had gathered
in only 3 more for a total of 140.  This was beginning to
worry me.  Where were all the contacts one is supposed to make on 10m?

Later in the evening, I went to my shack out of curiousity to see if
anyone was on.  I expected 10m to be flatter than a fallen cake.  Between 9PM
and 11PM, I added 12 more QSOs to the log, including
HI, ZL, VK and GA.  Wait a minute, no-one expects 10m to be open cross country
late at night.  But it surely was, and I happily accepted the new QSOs for the
log.

At the start, I had no way to anticipate just what score I might earn, so I set
a preliminary goal of 100 QSOs and/or 10K points.  As time wore on, I passed
these goals, and set new ones at 150 QSOs and 20K points on Saturday.  Things
really began rolling on Sunday, with a great finish at 244 QSOs and 56,316
points.

I worked 2 PY, 8 LU, 3 ZL, 2 CX, and all the rest of the DX were singles for
their countries.  There were 18 countries altogether.  Here at home I had 30 CA
entries, and 28 TX.  Almost a dead heat.  FL came in a distant third at 19.

The setup here is my ancient K2 (serial number 12) and a pair of
crossed 10m bisquare antennas.  I intended to switch between E-W and N-S for
some directivity, but the N-S never bought me anything.  Next year I have
something better in mind :-)  To round out the equipment I run TR Log on an
ancient COMPAQ Aero 33 MHz laptop.  It talks comfortably with the K2, though,
and everything seems to go smoothly.

I had a great time, and was very pleasantly surprised at the final outcome for
me.  I just hope I haven't shot myself in the foot, though, setting a good mark
on a declining sunspot cycle.  I may have a tough time matching it next year
:-)

73, Bob N6WG

73, Bob N6WG