[3830] ARRL 10 NE9U SO Mixed LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 NE9U SO Mixed LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 21:40:29 -0800
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: NE9U
Operator(s): NE9U
Station: NE9U

Class: SO Mixed LP
QTH: PLOVER, WI
Operating Time (hrs):

   CW:
  SSB:
-------------------
Total:  808   138  Total Score = 365,148

Club: Minnesota Wireless Association

Comments:

Equipment description:

Icom 765
Icom 751

Cushcraft A4 @56 feet
Cushcraft AP8 Vertical

Soapbox:

Well, that was fun!  Kinda felt like a marathon race.

But conditions were what I expected so no surprises.
Conditions were like in sweepstakes except you couldnt qsy to 40 meters.

In the contest this year you really had to pay attention to propagation and
where
to point the beam.  Seems like usually the heading was something other
that what you were working!
Friday night started with a bunch of Wisconsin and Minnesota ground wave,
followed by a bunch of 8's,9's, and 0's  via Aurora (E?)...beaming north.
Then a small opening to SE puncuated by short meteor bursts and the night
ended
with a good New Mexico run.

Best run of the weekend came Saturday night around 0400Z.  After making about 20
q's
from 0000z -0400z, had about 150 all CW contacts in a couple hours.  In
retrospect,
maybe should have logged some ssb q's also.

Best surpise of the weekend was finding S9SS all by himself around 28700 sunday
afternoon.
Best catch was V51.  Heard him S&P'n up the band Sunday.  Took a chance and set
up
and yelled CQ about 5 kc's above his last qso.  He called me after the 2nd CQ!

Below is a comparison of my continent breakdown between 2003 and 2002 (no
surprises!)
My total qsos were down about 500 and my totals from Europe and Japan were down
583.
It will be tough to compete from the midwest this year.  It was depressing
hearing the
eastcoast running europe and the westcoast working Asia racking up qso's and
mults.

Here's wishing for better conditions or BIGGER antennas next year!

Scott  NE9U