[3830] ARRL 10 WD4AHZ SO CW LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 WD4AHZ SO CW LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 07:20:27 -0800
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: WD4AHZ
Operator(s): WD4AHZ
Station: WD4AHZ

Class: SO CW LP
QTH: FL
Operating Time (hrs): 34

   CW:  850   111
  SSB:
-------------------
Total:  850   111  Total Score = 378,288

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

Started out as the Florida QSO Party ... worked 22 FL stations mixed in with a
few South Americans, during the first 2 hours.  Not to be outdone, it then
turned into a TX and CA QSO Party with a string of TX and CA stations in the
log!

Woke up Saturday morning to an intermittent SWR problem.  Changed the PL-259
connector in the shack in what felt like 30 seconds ... but that didn't fix it.
Spent the rest of the contest with an eye on the SWR meter ... when it would
jump, kicked in the internal tuner for a while ... when it would jump with the
tuner in line, kicked out the tuner.  That seemed to be a good workaround ... at
least I was able to stay on the air without having to take time to change the
connector on the tower.

Had a little 2 hour opening to EU (even less on Sunday), but it seemed like the
activity was down a bit ... never could get the consistancy of callers as in
years past.  That was also my feeling when running the US.  Just couldn't put
together a nice long string of stations to work.  Was kind of disappointed with
the progress Saturday afternoon, but things started picking up late in the
afternoon and into the evening, with a nice opening Saturday night.

To me, Sunday seemed slower than Saturday ... felt like I was just trudging
along.  Interesting "flutter" on the Eastern US signals Sunday afternoon (when I
worked OH, SM, and UA1).  Nice little opening the last hour to W1/W2 ... but
seemed like many had already packed it in.  Overall, not too bad for 10 Meters
... considering the way it could have been.

Happy Holidays and thanks to everyone for all the QSO's this year.

Ron, WD4AHZ