[3830] 9A CW I7/9A3A SOSB/160 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] 9A CW I7/9A3A SOSB/160 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 11:23:17 -0800
                    Croatian CW Contest

Call: I7/9A3A
Operator(s): 9A3A
Station: 9A3A

Class: SOSB/160 HP
QTH: Brindisi, Italy
Operating Time (hrs): 4.5

  160:  141    33
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total:  141    33  Total Score = 15,246

Club: Croatian Contest Club

Comments:

After working some EU and Asian stations on 160m, I went to bed leaving receiver
on with the headphones close to my bed and tuned to T9/9A3GZ loud signal. Soon
after I heard him answering to VE1ZZ and giving him +10 report. I jumped out,
moved above 1830 to the first clear frequency and started calling CQ TEST? soon
after Jack came in with a solid S9 signal!
After working Jack my curiosity was satisfied, so I went to bed but again with
earphones close to me, this time tuned to 9A6A loud signal. Around 0240 local
time I woke up and heard him trying to copy W4BW, whose signals were not too
loud, but I could copy with ease. After he QSO?d him W4ZV, AA4V and I can?t
remember who else were calling 9A6A with a loud signals, so I jumped out of bed
again, moved again to the first free frequency above 1830 and started calling.
To my surprise, I had a small pile up for the next 10 minutes or so, working
mainly NA stations who were louder than a couple of OK stations who were calling
too.

As my antenna is now at the maximum height of 12 m (36 ft), this was yet another
Magic Band surprise that I?ll never forget.