[3830] RAC Winter VE6TN SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ve6tn@shaw.ca
Subject: [3830] RAC Winter VE6TN SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2003 21:25:05 -0800
                    RAC Winter Contest

Call: VE6TN
Operator(s): VE6TN
Station: VE6TN

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Calgary, AB
Operating Time (hrs): 18

  160:   19      4       5         3
   80:   15     42       5         6
   40:   64     51       8        10
   20:  127    106       8        12
   15:   33     48       6         9
   10:    8    141       4         5
    6:
    2:
Total:  266    392      36        45  Total Score = 330,318

Club: Alberta Clippers

Comments:

Two contests in a row with antenna and connector/cable problems (CQWW CW and
this), although this one wasn't as impacting on my results.  My 160m/80m low
band performance would have been better if I wasn't continually plagued with SWR
problems from a bad connection somewhere in the shunt feed system.  Loading my
tower shunt on 160 with any more than 20 Watts caused my SWR to jump around
which made the antenna tuner go into palpitations, so I was essentially QRP on
160 . . . yeesh.  80m was a bit better but I had to use my slopers instead of
the shunt vertical for essentially the same reason.

I hadn't planned on doing more than a casual effort on this contest since my XYL
and I have just started home renovations and we are surrounded by construction
debris.  Ham radio was a welcome respite from several weeks of demolition and
hard work, although I appear to be the only one with this opinion around here.

Now if I could only disipline myself to hunt for multipliers more effectively
instead of hanging out in a pile-up for non-multiplier stations!

Thanks to everyone who took the time and effort to provide me with points and
multipliers.  I hope to mount a pretty solid effort from our cottage at Candle
Lake next year with my VE5KO call.  Look for me there.

73'

Barry VE6TN