[3830] TBDC W6VIO(W4EF) Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w4ef@dellroy.com
Subject: [3830] TBDC W6VIO(W4EF) Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2004 02:20:05 -0800
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: W6VIO
Operator(s): W4EF
Station: W6VIO

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: DM04
Operating Time (hrs): 4

Total:  QSOs = 124  Total Score = 672

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

I had intended to operate the whole contest period, but my wife's dog died on
Saturday morning, so I decided to stick around the house and console her (I was
somewhat down in the dumps myself). After my wife went to sleep Saturday night,
I made a few QSOs from my home station. Turned out that I had to use paper and
pencil for logging since the new Belkin keyboard I bought recently to replace my
old failing Compaq keyboard is a really good antenna (the $8 keyboard I bought
at Fry's on Monday has since fixed that problem). Anyway conditions sounded good
with strong signals from the East Coast, so I decided it was worth the drive
over to W6VIO down the road in La Canada where my antenna situation would be a
bit better. Got there about 2 AM local time and worked the contest until about 6
AM local when I just ran out of gas and decided to head home. I got home with
about 10 minutes to go, so I worked a few more stations with W4EF right at the
end. My best DX from W6VIO was Greg ZL3IX in RE66 (23 points) who answered my
CQ. FM5GU had a standout DX signal here (I even worked him from home with my
kludge antenna). My apologies to those who I couldn't pull out of the mud. Even
with help from our K9AY loop array, W6VIO is a very noisy location.

Cu all next year.

73 de Mike, W4EF..........