[3830] NAQP CW K5PI/KH6 Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, rbrandon@austin.ibm.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW K5PI/KH6 Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 13:25:19 -0800
                    North American QSO Party, CW

Call: K5PI/KH6
Operator(s): K5PI
Station: K5PI/KH6

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: HI
Operating Time (hrs): 4

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:   92    32
   10:   33    19
-------------------
Total:  125    51  Total Score = 6,375

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Team: Austin Powers #2

Comments:

I'm house-sitting for a friend here, possibly through the end of February (life
is SO hard!), so I strung a few wires off the lanai (deck, to you mainlanders)
and made a few QSOs.

My original plan was to do a 20/40 sloping dipole -- basically two dipoles with
a common feedpoint.  I hoped it would work on 15, too.  But it turned out I
didn't have as much room as I though, and when I tried to load up on 40, I
caused really bad TVI here in the house.  20 wouldn't load at all.

10 and 15 were a much better story.  I hung a simple 15M dipole from the second
floor deck down to the ground and found that it loaded up fine on both 10 and 15
with a little help from the tuner.  I had a few short runs, but did about 2/3
S&P.

The hardest part was that I had to send everything with the paddles.  I had a
keying interface, but my only computer runs XP with NTFS.  Writelog disables
parallel port keying on NT/2000/XP, and my computer won't run TR.  Well . . . I
may be able to boot to a CD or floppy for TR, but I didn't get that figured out
in time.  I now know about UserPort for Writelog, too.

During the afternoon we decided to head up to the north shore to watch the
surfers -- 25 foot waves, and 40 footers predicted for early next week.  Wow!

I should be on a bit for NAQP SSB and will give the CW Sprint a go, too.  I've
got my fingers crossed that I can find a station to guest/multi op for one of
these and/or ARRL DX CW.  Aloha!