[3830] NAQP SSB K8MR Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP SSB K8MR Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 17:27:46 -0800
                    North American QSO Party, SSB

Call: K8MR
Operator(s): K8MR
Station: K8MR

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: OH
Operating Time (hrs): 1

  160:  30     16
   80:  19     11
   40:   5      4
   20:
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total:  54     31  Total Score = 1,674

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Team: MRRC #4

Comments:

This was a last hour effort, after a day of bridge contesting.  With the K index
at 4, is was not what one would hope for being last hour fresh meat on the
bands.  Nearly all the qsos were S&P.

I used the name LeBron in honor of Ohio's most famous citizen. Actually we have
several things in common: we share a name, and we both get paid to play
basketball. In fact, I'm only one degree of separation from me having played
basketball with him.*  But he has a crummy name for phone radio contesting - I
had lots of "thanks Ron" replies.  Oh well.

73 - (LeBron) James,  K8MR

*  Details:  I really do get paid to play basketball, just not at the NBA pay
scale.  I supervise a one night a week adult pick-up game for our local school
district rec department, at which I do play.  My annual earnings (before taxes)
might get me a used TS-930 if I found a good deal.

One of the guys who plays with us has a son who had played on the high school
team.  His son occasionally drops by during summer vacations, etc., and plays
with us.  In 2002, with LJ's school essentially scheduling an exhibition tour,
they scheduled our high school team, which featured the triplet sons of former
NBA player Jim Chones.  It was a close game for 3 quarters, until a couple of
the Chones kids got into foul trouble.  Akron SVSM won by about 10 points, which
was about as close as anybody got to them that year. The friend's son has some
good pictures of himself as the hapless white guy LeBron was stuffing over.