[3830] NAQP SSB AA4LR Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, aa4lr@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] NAQP SSB AA4LR Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 16:56:42 -0800

Heil BM-10
Homebrew SO2R switchbox

Antennas:
Cushcraft A3S @ 15m (10m, 15m, 20m)
R7000 @ 2.5m (10m, 15m, 20m, 40m)
40m 1/4 wave sloper @ 12m (40m)
80m 1/2 dipole @ 11m (80m, 160m)

Comments:

This was planned as a full-time effort, but a growing headache and a grumbling
family caused me to end a bit early. Rates were really lousy toward the end, so
this probably did not affect my score greatly.

Got off to what I thought was a good start. Rates above 50 on both 10m and 15m.
Later found that K4BAI managed over 150 Qs on 10m. How does he do that? After
spending 1.5 hours, took a time off. Got back on at 2000z and started on 20m.
Rate meter immediately went to 200. In retrospect, I shouldn't have taken the
time off. I suppose I was trying to follow the advice of W4AN, who suggested
avoiding times off in the magic 4-11pm timeframe, when most casual operators
would be on. However, my station plays better on the high bands, where I have
gain.

Best rate was in the 2100z hour, with 100 Qs, mostly on 20m. Going to 40m at
2300z, rate was much slower. 40m never really went short into 8-9 land, but
instead went long.

Took an unexpected time off from 0206-0307z, when my wife insisted I help her
cook dinner. Rate was lousy at the time, so I didn't miss much.

Heard all kinds of stations down on 160m as early as 0300z. Managed to work a
bunch of them with just the low 80m dipole.

Used a real two radio setup. Second radio accounted for about a dozen contacts.
But it was helpful to monitor other bands and see what was happening. Need more
practice with this setup.