[3830] CQ160 CW KT1V Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kt1v@demop.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW KT1V Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 19:31:34 -0800
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: KT1V
Operator(s): KT1V
Station: KT1V

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: NH
Operating Time (hrs):
Radios: SO2R

Total:  QSOs = 930  State/Prov = 53  Countries = 53  Total Score = 392,624

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Congrats to all those with scores that dwarf mine and everyone that had a good
time! And I think EVERYONE has a good time in this one, or turns off the rig.
Probably not like CQWW or ARRL where maybe some people keep going while having a
bad time (although the having the bad time part is hard to imagine).

A personal best - by far.

First, what went wrong [excuses, excuses . . . [:)] ]:
I shouldn't have stayed up late Thursday drinking Port, especially since my
planned Friday nap didn't happen.
I should have slept SaturDAY, but my 3 year old wanted to play at 7:45AM - my
eyes were closed but I was still awake so why not?, and then the heat broke!!
Family abandoned me as it was getting too cold for the kids and I dealt with the
repairmen - about 50 minutes sleep.
Ohhh and that heavy workout on Wed morning - squats and deadlifts - the body had
not recovered by Fri night.
So anyways, I slept 2 hours Saturday AM and 1.5 hours Sunday AM (probably no big
loss anyways, a very few Qs and maybe 2-4 mults max?)
I slept because:
1) Coffee was having zero effect anymore
2) I fell asleep between CQs at least 10 times before I said - OK, lie down now.
Do you know the feeling? You wake up at the rig, not knowing if you've been
asleep for 30 seconds or 30 minutes! The log is no use because maybe you worked
stuff while asleep and didn't log it??
3) I LOVE to sleep. Its another hobby of mine.

If I did it again, I'd do it the same anyways :)

What went right: most everything.

The first night was not so hot - certainly NOT to EU!! Much static and weak EU
signals. NO west coast. The second night was great. At one point (yes, its a
stereotype) someone threw the switch and 160 sounded like 20m into EU for a
little while. Unfortunately I was SOOOO tired I didn't deal with the buzzsaw of
a pileup as well as some of my more learned colleages would have.

Worked 209 EU - if the first night had been like the second, it would have been
over 300! First night was 48 EU, 2nd night was154, and 3rd night was 17 (yes,
there is a 3rd night now, since they changed the contest hours).

Missed WA, ID and much of VE (including VO2, and VE4-8). No Asia, and only KH7X
from OC. Didn't work any satellites or the Mars probe either. Joe Lieberman did
keep calling me on the phone and leaving messages each night up to maybe 10 or
11 PM. Lots of neat EU stuff, maybe even some new topband countries. PR0F, D4B,
ZS6UT, ZP6CW and more called me. I worked EU up to 1880, and while 100 Hz away
from loud CQing EUs. I drank the perfect amount of coffee and ate appropriately,
unlike in CQWW CW!

This is a great contest! BUT, next year maybe I'll just play around and use the
opportunity to listen in great detail to some of those who always kick my butt,
as in sometimes doubling my score, like K1ZM@VY2ZM, AA1K, W4AN@W8JI, KC1XX, etc.
Maybe I'll learn something :)

73
Ted KT1V