[3830] ARRL Jan VHF N0JK Single Op Port QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n0jk@hotmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL Jan VHF N0JK Single Op Port QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 20:21:14 -0800

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  20     15  Total Score = 345

Club:

Comments:

Prior to the contest the weather forecast for central KS was 55 deg. F and sunny
both days. Friday night the forecast changed and Saturday was cold and windy,
and freezing rain/ice/snow and fog Sunday. This made operating portable in EM18
an extreme endurance test. The antennas iced up several times. The big Es
opening along the east coast Saturday afternoon "stayed east" and the aurora
both evenings "stayed north" of Kansas. Highlight for me was catching WA7JTM
DM33 Arizona early Sunday afternoon on a brief loud 6 Meter Es opening. Peter
was my only Es QSO and said my 10 watts and dipole were 5 x 9!  Later Sunday
afternoon heard NJ2F EL96 in and out on weak Es, but unable to work him. W3XO/5
EM00 was heard on scatter. Had 1296 MHz along on Saturday, but worked only one
station - KA0MR. Tropo was nil on 2 Meters. See N3DB worked PY and LU Saturday
afternoon via an Es link. This is the third January VHF Sweeps in a row with
F2/TEP DX on 6 Meters for W/VE.