[3830] CQ160 CW AE9B Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW AE9B Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 03:14:27 -0800
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: AE9B
Operator(s): AE9B
Station: AE9B

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Mo
Operating Time (hrs): 28

Total:  QSOs = 1100  State/Prov = 57  Countries = 37  Total Score = 257,560

Club: Kansas City DX Club

Comments:

Was planning to go to WB9Z's place but plans change...
So I got things ready for a full fledged effort from home.
Except for not preparing with plenty of rest (work schedule prevents that).
I scheduled rest during the day and 1.5 hours during each night.
I had a nice assortment (6 directions) of very well perfoming (N0TT design) two
wire 300 Ohm beverages and switching system.
And a Flag antenna (thanks to K4SV for help there) to the NE.
Called CQ as much as possible and was called by most of the DX I worked.
Very surprised to get calls from PR0F (all time new for me), and several
others.
Was somewhat frustrating to hear the DX Pileups to the east that were just out
of control.
It was very apparent that some people didn't have antennas connected when DX
replied they didn't hear anything (just kept on calling)
Overall conditions were pretty good to the east and poor to the west.
I'm sure the 1,000 mile east coast to EU advantage will weigh heavily into the
final results.
I gave one of my best single-Op effort in recent times, and hope the score will
be competitive with other Midwest scores
This is really a 3 region contest (East, Mid, and West) and having spent some
recent time up in North Dakota to some extent (North/South)
But I weigh this as a real solid effort personally and enjoyed the local
competition with N0TT and KU1CW (nothing like a little push from some real CW
operators).
Working VK and ZL every morning during a normal week, it was dissappointing to
not work a handful during the contest.
Heard but did not work (MD4K, S50A several times), EU6EU, LY3UM, a couple OK's,
9A's, SM's,
The two days were totally different here. Day one had many extremely strong
signals with some apparent mixing or intermod causing what seemed like
intermittant stray interference.
I'm sure it was just strong combined signals. Noise was relatively low and
propagation pretty good.
Second Day was a totally different contest.. nobody answered the calls, the
noise from a local rain/sleet/snow event passing through caused problems
hearing.
What a surprise to hear M0C in the closing minutes just fine copy. I'm sure I
missed a few (sorry, I'd like to think my ears are pretty good). There's a big
difference between 1.5KW into a 1/4 wave vertical and a tuned wire and 100 W.
All of the calls are important. I wouldn't be surprised if I missed a few by
selecting the wrong antenna. When nulling a good portion of the receive area you
hear well.. in one direction.
I am extremely pleased with N0TT's beverage design and if you're in the market,
I'm sure he'd be available to design you something (he does great work).
All contest are first.. a measure of one's own ability... When I look in the
mirror after this one.. I am pleased regardless of the outcome.
Congrats to the winners and thanks to CQ for setting the stage for a fun and
challenging contest.

Missed NB,LAB,MB,NWT,YT and AK (never heard any of them)

MULTIPLIER LIST
CT   MA   ME   NH   RI   VT   NY   NJ   DE   PA   MD   DC   AL   GA   KY   NC
FL   SC   TN   VA
AR   LA   MS   NM   TX   OK   CA   AZ   ID   MT   NV   OR   UT   WA   WY   MI
OH   WV   IL   IN
WI   CO   IA   KS   MN   MO   NE   ND   SD   NS   PEI  NF   QC   ON   SK   AB
BC

DX:
8P    9A    C6    CM    CT    D4    DL    EA    EA8   EI    F     FM    G     HA
   HI    I     JA    KH6   KP2
 KP4   OE    OK    OM    ON    PJ2   PY    PY0F  S5    UA    V3    VP5   XE
YU    YV    ZF    ZL    ZS

NA    1056    1056    96.1
SA       8       8     0.7
AF       4       4     0.4
EU      25      25     2.3
OC       4       4     0.4
AS       2       2     0.2

Equipment:
Yaesu 1000 MP (clik fixed)
Acom 200A
160M 1/4 Wave Vertical
300M twin lead 6 Beverage switching system (by N0TT)
NE/SW, NW/SE, E/W
and a Flag Antenna NE
Writelog Software (V 10.43F)
Vibroplex Keyer