[3830] ARRL Jan VHF K8CC Limited Multi-Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k8cc@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL Jan VHF K8CC Limited Multi-Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 19:49:45 -0800
                    ARRL January VHF Sweepstakes

Call: K8CC
Operator(s): K8CC, K9TM, WX3M
Station: K8CC

Class: Limited Multi-Op HP
QTH: EN82
Operating Time (hrs): 27

    6:  215    48
    2:  223    42
  222:   60    26
  432:  115    29
  903:
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  613   145  Total Score = 114,260

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Equipment:

50   IC-746Pro, HB8877, 7L@95', 4L@45', KB6KQ loops @ 70'/50'
144  IC-746Pro, Henry 2002, 2M18XXX@90', 3xCC124WB @ 75'
222  IC756/DEMI, AM-6155/300W, DSFO222-16@70'
432  FT-847, 8874/400W, CC424B@80'

Almost exactly the same score as last year.  No Es opening to the East Coast
this year so 6M down, particularly in grids.  2M about the same as last year,
222 & 432 up slightly in QSOs but down in grids.

The feeling here was that activity was up a bit in terms of working unfamiliar
callsigns, which after three years is a good sign.  Rover activity was down,
most likely due to the extreme cold.  Line noise was a problem, particularly on
6M due to the cold and blowing snow.

Highlights:

- VP9GE in at S9 for several hours Saturday afternoon on 6M.
- EM07, EM70, EL98 and VE1YX in FN74 Sunday afternoon on 6M.
- Short aurora opening Saturday night (6M/2M) and Sunday night (6M).  Several
QSOs to MN and one with VE2HOG in FN07 which is a looooong way north.

It's hard to stay motivated when it takes two stations to make 15 QSOs/hr on
Sunday.  We'd go for 20-30 minutes at a time when we were the only station we
could hear CQing on 6M.  I was beginning to see the merits of shortening the
contest period, but then in the last five minutes of the contest we found K2DRH
in EN44 for mults on both 6M and 2M and my viewpoint changed :-)

This would be a really great contest from here with about 100 more people
working us on four bands :-)

73,

Dave/K8CC
Tim/K9TM