[3830] ARRL Jan VHF KC9BQA Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL Jan VHF KC9BQA Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 18:45:22 -0800

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  313    68  Total Score = 21,284

Club: Badger Contesters

Comments:

This was my first contest with beams up on the tower.  I was so excited, I never
slept.  Details are a little murky now, imagine that.

  I'm surprised I didn't work more grids on 50 or 144.  The beams are up high,
fed with 7/8" hardline and I have a good horizon.  Honestly, I worked just as
many grids with only stacked omni loops at 35' back in September.  Not nearly as
many Q's, but as many grids.  I'm considering putting more omni loops on the
side of the tower, to sort of have an extra set of "ears".

  I stressed sometimes; wondering what I was missing off the back of the beams.
I somehow managed to only make one aurora contact on 6.  I think I wasted too
much time waiting for rover teams to come back to their liasion freq. on 144.  I
noticed that on Sunday, the more I called CQ, the more stations I got in the
log.  I was more timid on Saturday, doing more of the search and pounce thing.
I also was frustrated by hearing big gun stations out east on scatter bursts
Sunday morning, and not being able to get them to come back to me.  I bet I
wasted at least an hour trying to call K3EAR, N2JR, W3CMP and a few others that
I can't remember anymore on 50.

   I've got a lot to learn.  I am also adding 222 for the spring and summer.
Equipment is stacked 12 el beams on 144, stacked 17 el beams on 222 and stacked
25 el 432 beams between 115' and 100'.  On 50, I have a single 6M5X at 100'.
All bands 100 watts.

   73,
   Todd  KC9BQA  EN63