[3830] CQ160 CW AC6DD Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW AC6DD Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 22:44:17 -0800
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: AC6DD
Operator(s): AC6DD
Station: AC6DD

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: San Luis Obispo
Operating Time (hrs): 30 ?

Total:  QSOs = 743  State/Prov = 52  Countries = 19  Total Score = 159,608

Club: Slovenia Contest Club

Comments:

First I would like to apologize to the many stations that were calling me and I
just could not pull out of the noise.  The second apology goes for my MP?s key
clicks.  I only found out recently about it.  It came down to finishing the
antenna or modifying the radio.

This is was my second portable attempt at 160m from a pier, in the middle of the
water.  The first one was during the ARRL 160m test (You can  see a short
description here:  http://www.qsl.net/ac6dd).   I can only get access to it
during the weekend.  That means set everything up and tear it down on the same
weekend.    I had no time for any testing, first time it works, or nothing.  Tom
? the pier manager was very kind to meet me early on Friday so I could have time
to set things up.

After the balloon fiasco in the ARRL test I came up with a setup that could be
transported and set up by myself.  I constructed a rack mounted, tilt up and
telescoping 90? tall vertical antenna.  I also built the rack. Building the
setup took of all my free time for several weeks.  Working on it in the evening
after putting in ten-hour days at work.   I also modified an Ameco PT3 preamp,
to switch four K9AY loops suspended by a mast.   I was going to build some ewe?s
and a dipole, but just could not make it in time.

This time I learned my lesson from the ARRL test and had everything ready (or so
I thought).  I even had two receiving preamps.
I was able to completely set up the station in five hours of non-stop work.  By
the time I was done, there were 30 minutes left to the start of the contest.   I
was already exhausted.

I was worried about the weather, especially rain, but this time everything
looked good.   The contest started very well, and the antenna worked great.
Every so often someone would mention ?FB signal? - the hard work was paying off.
  As the night progressed the conditions turned out to be less than optimal.
The wind started picking up and so was the noise on the band.  For a while I was
getting worried about the antenna, but it just bent a little and stood there
with no problem.    It started getting pretty cold, so I turn on the heater
inside the building ? nothing.  It is not working.  Than it started getting
really cold, now I was operating while standing and walking in place.  I pulled
the amp closer and figured the more CQ I call, the warmer the amp gets, and
warmer I get.   The noise was getting horrendous and the receiving antennas did
not work well on distant signals.  I had to listen on the vertical with S9
noise.   By the time the JA?s showed up on the band I decided to move the
receiving antenna to the other side of the building ? not much difference.   By
sunrise I was just about frozen.   I jumped into the van (or should I say
antenna) and went to sleep.

When I woke up it was 16:30 in the afternoon.   I couldn?t believe I slept this
long.  The band was already full of stations, and conditions seemed much better
than the first night.    The wind started weakening and it was not as cold as
the night before.  Is this all related to better propagation?   Things were
going really good.  Many stations are calling, but a lot of them I just can?t
copy because of the high noise level.  It was getting frustrating, especially
later with the JA stations.    By early morning QSO?s are very spotty,  and I am
just trying to keep the ACOM heater going.

I end the contest with 743 contacts.  By far the most, that I ever made during a
160m contest.

It?s been a few years since we used to be active multiop on 160 with Ken - N6KB,
 as WA6RKE, AA6DT or W6/S52NC, our former calls.  At the time Ken built an
amazing array of  6 long bi-directional beverages spread in all directions
around a 130 ft transmitting vertical.  They were outstanding.   I really wish
that I had them beverages this weekend.

I also wish there was another 160m contest next month.  Oh, there is? SSB?     I
will be back next winter, with improved receive antennas.

Any suggestions for a better setup are welcome.

73,

Niko ?The pier man? - AC6DD

P.S. Check out a few pictures at http://www.qsl.net/ac6dd    I will be adding
more as I get the time to do so.