[3830] ARRL Jan VHF N3UM Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL Jan VHF N3UM Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 13:55:01 -0800

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  86     18  Total Score = 1,548

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

This year in VHF SS I got 125 fewer QSOs and 18 fewer grids than in
VHF SS 2003, and thus a claimed score of 1,548 instead of 7,385.  I
did catch a bit of Eskip in 2003 and none in 2004, but that only
accounts for 11 QSOs and 9 grids.  Most of the deficit (114 QSOs,
9 grids) was because the VHF SS this year was the same weekend as
the CQ 160 CW contest, one of my favorites.  A serious effort in
the 160 contest meant missing Sat. PM, Sun. AM, and Sun. early PM
on VHF, hours in which I made 106 non-Es QSOs in 2003.  Only a few
of these were made up in 2004 by slightly higher totals early Sun.
PM and after the 160 contest ended at 24Z Sun. This schedule conflict
between two fine contests was unfortunate at a time of concern about
declining VHF contest activity, and certainly counterproductive in
encouraging HF contesters to try VHF SS.  The conflict can and should
be avoided in Jan. 2005.