[3830] RTTY WPX KY0W(W0YK) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w0yk@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] RTTY WPX KY0W(W0YK) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 11:42:54 -0800
                    CQ WW RTTY WPX Contest

Call: KY0W
Operator(s): W0YK
Station: W0YK

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 30

   80:   93   226
   40:  365  1468
   20:  350   619
   15:  303   632
   10:   93   195
-----------------
Total: 1204  3140  Prefixes = 351  Total Score = 1,102,140

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

What a blast!  Couldn't get much of Europe, so suffered there.  Club members
WK6I, W6OAT and W6YX/WX5S kept spotting Europeans, but I couldn't get through
nearly as easy they were from California.  Called the IV3 all weekend and he
CQ'd back to me.  Late Sunday morning he calls me on 20 in my 29th hour.

Have some kind of RFI on 80 meters where any power over 800 watts paused the
MMTTY transmist stream.  Turn power down below 800 watts and the stream picks up
from the pause point in the message!  Turn the power toward 1500 watts and
Windows XP fails into the dreaded blue screen, dumps memory and then reboots ...
a pleasant 5 minute process while the station you are working wonders what
happened.  CW and yelling didn't help.

Also sabotaged myself by inadvertently connecting the microphone in the PC
monitor to the sound card last week when installing a different monitor with
more screen area (to accomodate four Rttyrite/MMTTY windows with different
profiles).  Didn't discover until late Saturday that the speaker audio was
feeding through the microphone and providing a path into the sound card that
was, of course, delayed from the direct audio.  Had a dickens of a time getting
good copy for the first 15 hours.  It was amazing how the multi-path and flutter
profiles in MMTTY were able to decode the mess.  Sorry for all the repeats on
Saturday.  Geeeez!  Once I unplugged the microphone, Sunday was a delight of
near-perfect copy.  Now, we all know a good way to cripple the competition.

AA5AU is a class act.  While running two PCs and 2-3 radios simultaneously, Don
had spare time to stop by my run frequency on 40 and mention that VK6GOM was
calling me.  I never copied a trace of the VK with my "special" audio setup.
Fortunately, I had VK6HD in the log and then on Sunday morning, VK6GOM tried
again, so we made it.

Every time I called KL7DX on 20, he wouldn't work me, saying I was already in
the log.  Finally, on Sunday he'd had enough and told me what QSO number it was.
 Sure enough, I had KL7NX logged, thanks to my muffled audio system on Saturday.
 We're both glad that got cleared up since I think I was the only KY0 on.

Really missed SO2R and needed it a lot all weekend.  I did do alternating CQs on
different bands which worked OK when the rate was down.

Thanks for the QSOs.  Only 19 dupes, already removed from this summary.  I
always work dupes, no question.

73,
Ed - W0YK