[3830] ARRLDX CW N5TW(KE5C) SOSB/40 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ke5c@hot.rr.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW N5TW(KE5C) SOSB/40 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 14:46:32 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: N5TW
Operator(s): KE5C
Station: N5TW

Class: SOSB/40 HP
QTH: Texas
Operating Time (hrs): 30

  160:
   80:
   40:  685    94
   20:
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total:  685    94  Total Score = 193,170

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

First and foremost, thanks again to Tom, N5TW, for sharing his wonderful
station, including his new kitten who kept asking for kitty treats until I
firmly closed the door.  Friday morning was spent with my wife at her
orthopedist?s office.  When we left, I didn?t think I was even going to operate,
but things eventually worked out except for having made no deposits in the
pre-contest sleep bank.  I felt like conditons on 40 weren?t as good as the past
few years when we?ve done a M/2 from this station, but seeing other scores
suggest that I just wasn?t in the saddle.  However, I still had a lot of fun,
and my last four QSO?s produced two new and exotic countries (for the contest,
not the station) and a lot of excitement.

I last owned a 40 meter beam of my own 18 years ago, so I?ve not paid much
attention to recent chatter on the CTDXCC e-mail reflector about 40 and 80 meter
LP openings this week.  I did aim that way and called CQ from 30 to 60 minutes
after sunrise without anything interesting happening both days.  Then about 90
minutes after sunrise today, I started one last S&P pass to make sure I wasn?t
missing any easy multipliers.  A pileup had gathered around 7025, and on the
third try while aimed towards Europe, I copied A45XR just moving the S-meter.  I
turned LP, and he was was S7 or more.  I sent one call, and felt my pulse
quicken as he came right back over the pileup.  That promted me to restart the
S&P pass at the low end, and around 7010 I came across VQ9LA weakly calling CQ.
A few folks were trying to answer him, but he wasn?t hearing them, however, he
also came back to my first call.  I couldn?t hear anything from him when I went
back and aimed the direct heading.  I didn?t know where the Chagos Archipelago
is located before this morning!   Thus an otherwise fun but sort of
disappointing two nights ended on a really high note.

Finally, I don't know the man, but congratsulations to W5AO @ W5TM.  I heard him
all over, and his score shows it.