[3830] ARRLDX CW WA0RJY SOAB(A) QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW WA0RJY SOAB(A) QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 19:34:16 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: WA0RJY
Operator(s): WA0RJY
Station: WA0RJY

Class: SOAB(A) QRP
QTH: Seattle
Operating Time (hrs): 5

  160:
   80:
   40:   6      5
   20:  28     21
   15:  28     15
   10:   4      4
-------------------
Total:  66     45  Total Score = 8,505

Club: Western Washington DX Club

Comments:

Great fun!  I turned the FT-817 down to its lowest level (500mw) just to see
what I could do.  It worked out just fine.  I jumped up to 5 watts for a few
contacts (Friends like VR2BG or QRP "New Ones" and when testing a homemade
Buddipole in the backyard) - but 45 of the 66 Qs were at 500mw.  Just a casual
"sit at the radio when the band is busy" type of operation - so maybe was on for
5 hours - probably less.

Best 500mw DX was ZD8Z at about 7,500 miles and EX2X was a great one when I
worked him over the pole.  Even worked a JA on 40 with 500mw and a wire sloper
(nice ears JE1ZWT!).  On the high bands the antennas were 5 ele yagi at 88ft on
20, 6 ele at 96 on 15, and 6 ele at 104 on 10 (rotator on the blink - so
antennas are permanently pointing towards Europe).  Also had a Lightning Bolt
Quad pointing towards the Carribean (used for the ZD8Z QSO).

Funny how some quiet stations would pull me out first call and some loud ones
would need several repeats.  Special thanks to everyone that I annoyed with my
tiny signal.  But if I'm in your log, you should give yourself a pat on the
back.

Great conditions from what I could hear.  Amazing how busy the bands are during
contests and then they go absolutely quiet at the stroke of 0000z.  73!