[3830] ARRLDX CW W6QU(W8QZA) SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wparker2@san.rr.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW W6QU(W8QZA) SOAB QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 20:56:38 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: W6QU
Operator(s): W8QZA
Station: W8QZA

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: San Diego, CA
Operating Time (hrs): 40

  160:    0     0
   80:    0     0
   40:   52    30
   20:   75    39
   15:  153    56
   10:   87    31
-------------------
Total:  367   156  Total Score = 171,756

Club:

Comments:

Rig: Yaesu FT-817

Antennas:

1.  3 el Tribander up 32 feet with 40 Meter attachment.

2.  DX-LB trap dipole for 40-80-160 up 30 feet in center, 20 feet at ends.

Well, I guess we will all have to get used to losing the spots, especially those
of us running QRP on small city lots.

I never got into Europe on 10 meters, and only got a one hour opening on 15
meters on Saturday and on Sunday.  That really cuts into the mults and Qs!
There was very little activity in Oceania and Asia (outside of Japan)to offset
the loss of Europe.

40 meters yielded 30 countries to my low trapped dipole, thanks to all the
activity in the Carribean, and a couple of rare Qs in Europe (CS6V and OH0R).

I was never able to make a Q on 80 (or 160).  I really missed KL7Y.  I don't
know how he did it, but he always heard my QRP 80 meter signal, usually on the
first couple calls!  And there were no near-by XE stations.

I was able to work D4B and ZD8Z on four bands, as well as many Carribean
stations.  I also worked several fellow QRP stations, including FY5KE on 40, 20,
and 15.

Well, two more weeks and we do it all over again!

Bill Parker  W8QZA-qrp (W6QU)