[3830] WPX RTTY WI0WA (op W0ETC) SB10

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WPX RTTY WI0WA (op W0ETC) SB10
From: Larry L Lindblom <llindblom@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 17:58:31 -0600
WI0WA at W0ETC, Operator W0ETC

SB 10 HP  Op time: 15 Hr    Club: Tennessee Contest Group (TCG)

351 Qs        452 Points       166 Multipliers

Score 75032

I tried sending this once but it got sent before I was finished.  Tried
sending a correction but I never saw it posted.

My initial plan was to do a single band 80 for WPX RTTY.  I started on 80
and after almost 3 hours the SWR on the 80 meter antenna system jumped to
10/1.  Everything in the shacked seemed OK so I decided to switch to a SB
40, but conditions on 40 did not seem good so I decided to take an early
bed time and figure out what to do in the morning.  I started Saturday AM
on 10 and decided to stay there.  By the sound of the band I should of
gotten up a few hours earlier.  Europe was coming through nicely and the
rates were good.

Saturday afternoon I took a long break from the contest to take my lady
friend to a local micro brewery for Valentines Day meal and a few brews.
I got back home in time for the Big JA run that wasn't.

Sunday morning I got up early anticipating another nice European run, but
only worked two EU stations.  the rates were agonizingly slow from the
land between two rivers (AKA, the black hole).  Finally around 2200 I
worked my first JA of the contest and he was loud so I aimed all three
TH-7s at JA but only worked one other JA before the end of the contest.
Actually the final 75 minutes from here were a true test of endurance
with only one QSO.  Finally at 2355 I'd had enough and called it quits
thereby missing the 20 JAs I would have worked in the final 5 minutes;-)