[3830] ARRLDX CW ZS1AN SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, andrew.roos@mweb.co.za
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW ZS1AN SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 13:31:54 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: ZS1AN
Operator(s): ZS1AN
Station: ZS1AN

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Cape Town
Operating Time (hrs): 31

  160:
   80:
   40:  123    39
   20:  128    36
   15:  262    42
   10:   57    24
-------------------
Total:  570   141  Total Score = 241,110

Club: Cape Town ARC

Comments:

Wire antennas only, dipoles on 20, 15 and 10 and a vertically polarized delta
loop on 40. The ARRL DX contest last year was my first major international
contest, so this was my first anniversary. This time at least I had computer
logging, rather than the paper log and manual paddle I used last year! Some
frustrating times in the afternoons when the only stations I could hear were the
big multi-multis which I had already worked and was only managing 5 or 6 per
hour. However the evenings, night and early mornings more than made up for this.
I was able to run on all bands at times, although 10m was only open briefly on
both days. 40m was challenging, with lots of QRN from the African thunderstorms,
not to mention the whole of Europe and America screaming at each other across
the Atlantic, and low powered me off the side of the beams! At times it required
some patience but this was rewarded when by the enthusiasm on the other side
when the operator finally got my callsign with its ZS prefix. I'll be back with
a beam next year, promise.