[3830] ARRLDX CW KA1IS SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, tkzic@megalink.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW KA1IS SOAB QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 15:38:40 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: KA1IS
Operator(s): KA1IS
Station: KA1IS

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: Maine
Operating Time (hrs): 32

  160:    3     3
   80:   44    29
   40:  101    47
   20:   92    46
   15:  174    60
   10:   51    33
-------------------
Total:  465   218  Total Score = 304,110

Club:

Comments:

This was a rare opportunity to rent a house for the weekend, on the ocean in
Kennebunkport, about 40 feet from the beach. After surviving a 3 car accident on
the way down, the freezing rain and snow on saturday was not a problem. Sometime
around midnight on friday I abandoned the vertical trap dipole, climbed up on
the roof, and installed a 90 long foot inverted V across the top of the chimney
- fed with twin lead - the peak being between 20-30 feet above sea level.  It
worked much better than the vertical on all bands & I added an extra 40 feet of
wire on saturday night to help out on the low bands. One end was anchored to
some lobster trap debris on the beach.  The 3 qso's on 160 made it all
worthwhile. It was a great contest and I apologize to all the dx stations for
the QRP thing, and the wimpy signal, but I didn't want to draw the attention of
the innkeeper (owners) next door, or the FBI.  tom. ka1is.