[3830] ARRLDX CW GM4YXI SOSB/80 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k.kerr@abdn.ac.uk
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW GM4YXI SOSB/80 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 13:51:00 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: GM4YXI
Operator(s): GM4YXI
Station: GM4YXI

Class: SOSB/80 HP
QTH: Ellon
Operating Time (hrs): 9

  160:
   80:  508    51
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total:  508    51  Total Score = 77,724

Club: North of Scotland Contest Group

Comments:

Storm damage to the antennas in January and no time to do any repairs left me
QRV on 80m and 10m. Easy choice ??.80m single band in this contest. No chance of
a full time effort sadly so it was about 3 hours on Saturday morning, 4.5 hrs on
Sunday morning and the last 1.5 hours of the contest. Beverages had to be taken
down the preceding week to let the farmer spray the field crop. Missed the bev
on Saturday morning so ran out one for NA once the band closed. For some reason
(electrical, mechanical or propagation I know not) this beverage seemed useless
on Sunday morning, which was a pity since apart from anything else, the snow
static was awful on the vertical. On Sunday night however, the bev was
fantastic!
The first ?packet pile-up? which developed on Saturday morning was a bit of a
job to handle and it became obvious that the QRM at the NA end was covering me
up. Signals from New England were huge. Able to work to the mid-west but no
further than NE, CO, TX. Apart from the static, things were less frantic on
Sunday morning and I enjoyed a good opening to the west coast from just before
0600 with W6OAT until 30mins AFTER my sunrise with AJ6T. In all worked 17 CA, 3
AZ, 2 UT and one each in MT, OR, BC and AB. Among these were some outstanding
true 599 signals.
I will be sorry to miss the SSB leg this year but will be en route to 9M2-land.
Hope to see you all from 9M2RPN in WPX SSB.
Best wishes,
Keith GM4YXI