[3830] ARRLDX CW V26DX M/S LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k2dm@att.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW V26DX M/S LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 18:54:34 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: V26DX
Operator(s): K2DM, K3ZM
Station: V26DX

Class: M/S LP
QTH: Antigua
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:  358    52
   80:  625    58
   40:  787    55
   20:  841    57
   15: 1093    57
   10: 1033    54
-------------------
Total: 4737   333  Total Score = 4,732,000

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

Peter and I operated from the Royal Antiguan Hotel.  We used half slopers on
160M and 80M strung from the fire escape 9 stories up, and an Optibeam on 40-10M
on the roof of the hotel.  The slopers worked great, and it didn't hurt that
conditions on 160M seemed really good.  The Optibeam worked great, despite the
fact that we were unable to elevate it off the roof.  The rear half of the
antenna was about 2 feet above the roof, and the front half was in the clear.
Despite the proximity to the roof, the SWR was manageable.  Peter and I split
the operating about 50/50, switching off about every 2 hours.  We were surprised
and pleased that we were able to sustain reasonable rates even during the early
hours of daylight when the stateside ops are alleged to ignore the Caribbean in
favor of Europe.