[3830] ARRLDX CW VP9/K9CC SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k9cc@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW VP9/K9CC SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 14:03:59 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: VP9/K9CC
Operator(s): K9CC
Station: VP9/K9CC

Class: SOAB LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 34

  160:  176    37
   80:  389    50
   40:  618    54
   20:  774    55
   15:  317    41
   10:  130    37
-------------------
Total: 2404   274  Total Score = 1,935,810

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

Thought I was really going to increase my score greatly from last year because
this year I had REAL low band antennas(dipoles at 30 ft), and on Friday night I
did do much better then last year. My best band last year was 15, and third best
was 10. I thought I would not do near as well on 10 but I expected as much as
last year from 15. So when daylight came and I did so poorly on 10 and 15 I
became very discouraged. Last year I had 663 Q's on 15, this year 317!

EXCUSES:
1. Gale force winds and rain earlier in the week when I was erecting my
antennas. 2. Broke my MFJ fiberglass telescoping mast near the top and had to
install the dipoles lower then I had planned. 3. The thermostatic fan control on
my Kenwood TS-570 failed on Sunday afternoon when I finally was getting a decent
rate on 15. I ended up hooking the fan up to a 12 volt wall wart with clip leads
and a tooth pick. It now runs constantly. Lost one hour. 4. Sunday was my 67th
birtday and I was tired from climbing the roof repeatedly in the rain and
wind.

REAL REASON:
I got so discouraged (and bored) with my inability to keep a rate on 10 and 15
that I watched a Rugby Tournament on TV on Sunday afternoon (I'm still not sure
if I have figured out what happens to the ball during the scrum). Big mistake. I
am going to have to come up with a stategy. It seems that when Europe is coming
in well to the USA, we don't yet have good propagation in Bermuda. Then later
when we have propagation everybody moves to 20 meters?

Humerous side note. When I came back I was looking at the spots on DX Summit. A
couple of days before the contest I was spotted by a DL on 40 as "not that
loud". Exactly one minute later an SP spotted me as "BIG SYG". (Maybe SYG is
Polish for DORK?)

Antennas: 160/40 - Alpha Delta Trapped dipole 100 ft long. 80 - Dipole. 20/15/10
- Diamond CP6 Vertical