[3830] ARRLDX CW K5NA SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW K5NA SOAB HP
From: Bruce Horn <bhorn@hornucopia.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 06:27:32 -0800
I'm manually reposting this message because of current mail delivery problems with the server that generated this posting. Please do not reply to this message. - WA7BNM

ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: K5NA
Operator(s): K5NA
Station: K5NA

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: STX
Operating Time (hrs): 46
Radios: SO2R

  160:   66    43
   80:  158    66
   40:  433    78
   20:  201    73
   15: 1120   103
   10:  140    55
-------------------
Total: 2133   418  Total Score = 2,655,972

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

I really enjoy the ARRL DX CW Contest. I like the format a lot because I know I
will be working a lot of DX and will stay busy the entire weekend because the DX
is focusing on the USA. I have been operating this contest for 46 years now and
my early logs in my files are on Big Chief Pad paper tear-offs. That's from the
days when the contest was two weekends long.

I know I will never win this contest and I am probably past the point of ever
making the top ten. But still, I like this contest.

The amazing thing is that I am putting more hours into the contest as I get
older. I don't quite know how or why that is, but I am in the chair more than I
used to be. In the old days, a 40 hour weekend would completely wear me out.
Maybe it has something to do with time compression as I get older.

This year, except for bathroom breaks, I was in the chair for 48 hours. I have
found that with a comfortable operating chair I can just lean back and nap for
an hour and be fresh enough to get going again. I did that twice this year with
an hour nap on Saturday morning and another hour on Sunday morning. When I am
napping, I leave my headphones on and the volume turned up so that when my body
is ready, the noise from the headphones wakes me up. I get just enough sleep to
refresh myself and there is no danger of oversleeping.

I just wish I was a better operator so I could take advantage of this new-found
ability.

73, Richard

--------------------------------------------------------------- The world's top contesters battle it out in Finland! THE OFFICIAL FILM of WRTC 2002 now on professional DVD and VHS! http://home1.pacific.net.sg/~jamesb/ ---------------------------------------------------------------