[3830] NAQP RTTY VA7ST Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP RTTY VA7ST Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 22:40:33 -0800
                    North American QSO Party, RTTY

Call: VA7ST
Operator(s): VA7ST
Station: VA7ST

Class: Single Op LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 8.6

  160:
   80:   64    30
   40:   47    22
   20:   86    35
   15:   15    11
   10:    7     2
-------------------
Total:  219   100  Total Score = 21,800

Club:

Team:

Comments:

Rig: FT920 100w
Laptop (933 PIII) running excellent N1MM and MMTTY combo
Antennas:
   Extra-low triband spider beam (DF4SA)
   Common-fed 80m dipole with droopy ends, and 40m inv. vee, all under 30ft.

All I can say is "Cool!" So what if the top two high bands weren't really there;
the low bands sure were nice.

Had the QTH to myself for the weekend -- XYL drove harmonics to a hockey
tourney, and someone had to stay home with the dog. Figured I'd jump in for a
few QSOs, knowing the antennas wouldn't allow me to do a lot.

Had a super time sifting through a dead 10M and soft 15M band. 20M was pretty
good today.

I missed most W1, 2 and 3 mults due to mountain RF filter. Sure was great to
work VE9DX -- a rare event from this QTH.

Last year, I went to 40m at 2:16z -- this year went an hour earlier and grabbed
25 or so QSOs -- and had a blast, though not a lot of QSOs. Edged the 40m count
up to 47 in the final half hour, and worked XE1XOE for a nice late-night
present.

Things really started cooking when I went to 80m, at 03:10z. I figured the low,
low 80m dipole would be useless, as the ends are bent from max. height of 28ft
down to 10ft. What a surprise to work so many multipliers -- 34 mults on 64 Qs.
Worked everyone I could hear, right down into the mud, which felt good.

Kept revising my goals... beat last year's score... then break 200 Qs... then
hit 100 mults. Made that last goal on my final QSO, with K3GP (Ohio) on 80m.
Thanks Geo.

Observations:

* Worked Jim, VE7FO using "OJ", then 2 Qs later worked N6OJ.
* Listened to a station work Budd (not sure of call) then he worked me (Bud)
* Managed to have Bob VE6YR hear me on two bands. He's always loud here.
  Usually, I'm not.
* Laughed every time I worked Ruff, K9SEX. My vote for originality.
* Jim, AD6WL, moved me from 40 to 80, and it worked out (only one of the day)
* Moved from 20 to 15 several times for stations, to no avail.
* On high bands, working from the top-left corner of the map isn't good.
  Felt like I was staring down the back of a lot of beams while patiently
  not working many.
* Must thank WB2RHM Ben in NC for his patience on 80m. Same for W4ZE Ted in
PA.

Comparison to last year's first-ever Feb. RTTY event:

                 '03>'04      '03>'04
      Band        QSOs         Mults
      ====       =======       =====
       3.5        33>64        16>30
         7        46>47        24>22
        14        80>86        33>35
        21        30>15        13>11
        28         2>7          1>2
     Total       191>219       87>100     16616 > 21800

All in all, I truly had a great time today. This may be the last significant
operation from this QTH before we move to the new place. I am really looking
forward to getting some wire way up high in the air.

73s and thanks to everyone for a super day's hamming.

-- Bud, VA7ST