[3830] ARRLDX SSB W6YX M/2 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB W6YX M/2 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2004 23:58:41 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: W6YX
Operator(s): K6UFO,N7MH,W6GEM,W6RQ
Station: W6YX

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 46

  160:    5     4
   80:   62    35
   40:  514    85
   20:  575    94
   15:  576    99
   10:  106    42
-------------------
Total: 1838   359  Total Score = 1,974,141

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Thanks to Curt, W6RQ, for organizing this effort.  We had a lot of fun, deciding
to do a M/2 even though we didn't have enough operators to keep both stations
busy for much of the contest.  Carol, W6GEM, helped out for a while on
Saturday.

We had microphone problems on both stations.  No one could hear us on 80 the
first evening because of a flaky headset mike.  A bad mike jack on the other
logging computer led to some lost minutes.  Standing up to stretch, leaning back
in the chair, or catching the mike cord with a foot would break contact between
the plug and jack.  Jiggling the plug would eventually fix the problem, but
because of the computer's location it took two people to perform the fix
successfully.  That sound card (or just the jack) needs to be replaced before we
cleverly enable on-the-fly recording again.

160 meters was a bust for us this time.  The feedline to our inverted vee has
developed an intermittent problem.  It worked great for the CW contest but had
intermittently high SWR this weekend.  I managed to coax 300 W out of the
amplifier to work a couple of stations and worked the others barefoot.  The
mults in our summary results may be wrong since I don't think VQ5A was counted
as a mult on 160.

After resolving the microphone problem on 80 we managed to work most mults that
we heard.  I only called CQ for about a half hour total on 80 but had P29 and
ZF2NT call for new mults.  The EU opening on 80 was poor compared to the CW
contest and we didn't hear any long path opening.

40, 20, and 15 all had good openings to EU and JA/Asia.  We didn't work any EU
on 10 and I don't think we worked any JA or other Asian stations either.  We may
have missed a brief 10-meter opening on Saturday afternoon to JA when the
station was unmanned for a couple of hours.

-Mike, N7MH