[3830] ARRLDX SSB VY2ZM(K1ZM) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k1zm@aol.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB VY2ZM(K1ZM) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 15:10:39 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: VY2ZM
Operator(s): K1ZM
Station: VY2ZM

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: :PEI
Operating Time (hrs): 45
Radios: SO2R

  160:  118    50
   80:  346    68
   40:  454    88
   20: 1404   114
   15: 1642   108
   10:   78    44
-------------------
Total: 4042   472  Total Score = 5,723,472

Club:

Comments:

Many thanks to all who called me - it was much appreciated.  Please QSL DIRECT
to K1ZM in NY should you wish a QSL.  Incoming cards are answered the same day
via air mail.

Condx seemed halfway decent for me with the exception of 10M - which was all but
dead on Saturday.  I managed about 21 qso's with South America and the Caribbean
the first day.  Sunday was quite a bit better and I kept checking 10M often on
the second radio.  CN2R was really loud for quite some time as was CT1DVV.  Good
sigs were in from VQ9LA and A45WD but you needed to be there for the few minutes
when they were active. Africa was not really represented except for a 5U, EA8BH
and EA8ZS.

It was nice hearing KH7X with a good signal on 10m late in the day.  Other than
that, it was South America and the Caribbean for the mults - that was it.

The lowbands seemed pretty good - in fact,there were some ENORMOUS EU signals on
160M - but no volume at all.  Once you worked the active participants, there was
nothing at all to be gained by CQ'ing.  This was quite an exception to the
normal rule from my station.

I operated with two broken 20M antennas.  Both new 5 element yagis suffered BOOM
failures in almost the same identical places and this required me climbing the
tower during CQ160M SSB last weekend to cut down the broken boom pieces and the
two 2nd directcor elements.  It was blowing a ton that day and I had no choice
but to TOSS these two elements off the tower into the deep snow. The SWR was
highly elevated on 20M but the antennas seemed to work reasonably well without
the last director elements.  I have alot of work to do this summer to BEEF up
what were supposed to be 125MPH antennas........

Getting to the tower to do this work was tons of fun - as the snow was over 20
feet deep at the base of the tower.  It required removing snow and crawling up
the snowdrift to gain access to climb the tower.

If you read the writeup about VY2LZ and me from ARRL CW weekend, you can
actually get to SEE what it was like if you are planning on attending the
CONTEST FORUM at Dayton this May.  K1DG has graciously asked me to do a session
on the building of VY2ZM and I will have some interesting snapshots on hand to
allow folks to see what it is really like to try to operate a station on PEI
during the harsh Winter months.

Like they used to say in the old WINCHESTER cigarillo advertisements from the
early 1960's, all I can say is "It's a WHOLE 'NOTHER SMOKE!"

73 JEFF  K1ZM@aol.com