[3830] Commonwealth VA3NR Restricted HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, va3nr@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] Commonwealth VA3NR Restricted HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 09:16:18 -0800
                    RSGB Commonwealth Contest, CW

Call: VA3NR
Operator(s): VA3NR
Station: VA3NR

Class: Restricted HP
QTH: ON
Operating Time (hrs): 10.5
Radios: SO2R

------------
   80:   36
   40:   31
   20:   41
   15:   20
   10:    6
------------
Total:  134  Total Score = 2,470

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

Generally poor conditions for me, except maybe 80M.  Still had fun.  Tried
turning off the amp and running SO2R briefly, but the 2nd rig's antenna is
better for SS than a DX test.  (and needed the extra 6 dB on the main rig to be
heard.)

Got so discouraged with condx that I pretty much gave up on my goal of 67
band-call-areas as being impossible with my setup.  Sure regret it because
things improved and I managed 64 at the end!  Wish I would have tried a little
harder for the BCA's I passed over - skipped the 9J2BO pileup on 15 as he was
having trouble with non-BERU callers, also missed ZS on 15 despite hearing
several loud ones calling others.  (planted CQ's didn't work out)

Thanks J88DR for 6 bands.  Thanks G4PIQ/P for 5 1/2  (I just heard him as a
whisper on 10M & think he heard my call but QSB prevented a QSO.)  Otherwise
worked a  few ZL's on 10M at 21Z and that was it for 10M.

Very happy both 5B4AGN & 5B4AGC called me on 80M at their sunrise for a new
country for me. (#108 on 80)  Other nice DX was 9H on 80, and VK9NS on 40.

Lesson for me this contest: Set clear objective & stick with it.

73, Tnx QSOs, & GL,
Chris VA3NR

{Mark-V Field, AL811 500w, HF6V Vertical}