[3830] WPX SSB NX5M M/M HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB NX5M M/M HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 20:12:26 -0800
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: NX5M
Operator(s): NX5M, N5XJ, W5SB, W5MN, KC5YKX, W5PF, N1LN, KE4NT, KK5LO, NT5TU,
KA5BKG, N5XT, K5GN, W5MJ, N5XZ, KM5ET, KG5U, K5NZ
Station: NX5M

Class: M/M HP
QTH: TEXAS
Operating Time (hrs): 48

------------
  160:   64
   80:  445
   40:  785
   20: 1941
   15: 1834
   10:  706
------------

Club:

Comments:

First WPX multi-multi from here.  Things went pretty well.  A few minor glitches
but it certainly was a way for me to find the little things that need more
attention.
Fine group of ops for this one.  Enough bodies allowed for a satisfying amount
of operating time to go along with visiting, resting and sleeping.  A fine
surprise from one of the ops (W5MN) who prepared a fine Saturday mid-afternoon
meal consisting of fried fish, chicken and fries.  Sunday we dove into a variety
of pizza.
No complaints really except that I just hate to see 10m going in the direction
it is.  Strange 10m paths throughout the weekend.  I personally spent 3 hours on
the 10m station (2000-2300z Sunday) and found that the only way I could hear the
guys from W9 over to W2 was to leave one beam southeast and another to the
north.  On 160, we never even went there the second night. I had figured to get
250 qsos on that band but it was not meant to be.  Not so much because of a
problem I had encountered but the band was murderous and even you loud guys to
the east that were 20 over were in the noise.
Several guys, myself included, operated a bit on 40 during the day.  Interesting
how many guys a person can persuade to give you a qso and then move over to 80.
Of course not many made the move from 40 to 80 but it was worth the try.  My
biggest surprise was seeing K5GN calling cq in the middle of the afternoon on
3900.  Second biggest surprise was seeing K5GN have a genuine ragchew qso on the
same frequency.  For a big time driven contester he fit into the role of a laid
back farmer pretty darn well.
K5NZ did not stay for the weekend since he had motorcycle racing to do on
Sunday.  From what I hear he wished he would have stayed and operated.....what
was it?  You pulled a hamstring?
I would like to comment on all of these guys but it would indeed get too long.
However, to each of them I appreciate the job they did.  Most important to me is
that all had a good time and I certainly enjoyed having them around.
And to all of you guys that took the time to change bands for us....thank you!
No, we will not be at it in WPX CW.  Two months away is too soon for me.