[3830] NewEngQP W1END Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NewEngQP W1END Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 03:09:26 -0700
                    New England QSO Party

Call: W1END
Operator(s): W1END
Station: W1END

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: ROC NH
Operating Time (hrs): 10

   80:     33       0
   40:     72       0
   20:    100       0
   15:      1       0
   10:      0       0
------------------------
Total:    206       0  Mults = 47  Total Score = 19,364

Club:

Comments:

Murphy struck early and I used up two hours and my May allotment of curses
debugging software. Probably made little difference in my performance.  Had some
good runs.  This contest showed me that I need a lot more practice in running
stations rather than search and pounce.  Conditions were pretty good.  I was
surprised to hear so many NE stations on 20 meters.  The extra 80M radials I
added to the vertical helped out on that band.  Occasionally checked 15 and 10
meters.  Worked one on 15 and probably could have got more but stayed on 20M
mostly.

I figured I would work each New England state early on.  I finally realized
toward the end of the contest that I could work all the NE stations I wanted and
get QSO points.  It's the county multipliers that we don't get.  I need a brain
transplant.

While operating on Sunday with shack window open I could hear all the
neighborhood yard warriors on mowers attacking the rapidly growing green
emerging from a long cold New England winter.  I know I was having more fun than
they were.  Riding mower mobile - hmmmm.

This certainly was an enjoyable contest.  The concept of a New England party
instead of one for each state has brought out a lot of activity that I never
could find in the single-state formats.  It's interesting that Florida has 67
counties - the same as New England.  It was gratifying to hear all the mobiles.
I don't know how they do it but it sure makes things interesting.

Thanks to all who came back to my feeble signal and not quite error-free fist.
I had to send W8WVU's call five times before I got it right.  Told him that I
was glad I didn't have that call.

Thanks also to Tom/K1KI and Bob/W1RH for all the pre-contest information and the
tons of work doing the post-contest result tabulation.

Used the trusty TS830s and Butternut HF6V vertical.  My TH6DXX is still in the
cellar waiting for parts and ambition.

Eldon - W1END