[3830] ARRL FD W0GG 3A LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jwilkows@direcway.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL FD W0GG 3A LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 08:07:02 -0700

  903:
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
----------------------------
Total:  2247   2214    53  Total Score = 14,758

Club:

Comments:

The following is an excerpt from a email to a club member.

As far as FD wx is concerned, boy we were never out of the woods with the
lightning during the entire event.  Each day that dawned was bright and sunny
but by 10 am the thunderheads would move in and linger the entire day and
evening.  It seemed that they did not go away until after midnight each day.
(Thurs, Fri and Sat)  A few of us camped out Thursday and Friday nights to make
sure that no one took the space that we needed for FD and we were welcomed by
the storms.  Sunday after FD was over (we only operated until 1800) as we were
packing up the gear we were hit by another storm.  This one was a doosie,
lightning and moth ball size hail which turned to snow/ice and  by the time it
was over we had about  1 inch on the ground in the area.

As far as our FD efforts went, even with the frequent shut-downs we managed a
good effort.  Although we did not garner all the bonus points, we did manage to
snag 1220 of the possible bonus points available.  In addition, we were very
active on VHF / UHF with over 400 qso's in those two bands.  The real secret was
the work we put into the antennas.  We had three 50' towers up spinning a 40
meter mono-bander, 20 meter mono-bander and a Hy-Gain TH7.  The GOTA station
had a A3 Yagi on top of a 40' aluminum extension ladder.  In addition, we had
two phased verticals on 80 meters, Delta loop for 80 and 40, low dipole for 40 ,
80 meter inverted "V" and a 80 mtr Beverage rx antenna pointing to the east.

We ran a WriteLog network consisting of the 5 station sites and one server site.
 The network ran fine other than a couple of glitches.  We had a bad keyboard
that whacked the network with repeated entries at the rate of 20 a second until
it crashed the server and bogged down the network.  One great thing about the
WriteLog setup is the redundancy. The other machines on the network may or may
not have all the contacts but it will definately have ALL the contacts from the
radio it was  physically connected to.  All machines were Win 98 SE (all cloned
from one master drive) and the server was Win XP Pro.  If you manage the NETDDE
scenario on an XP machine you won't have any problems.

The operators were great and other than the numerous shutdowns from lightning
the stations were pretty well manned for the 24 hour period.

All in all, we are pretty pleased with our efforts.

My hat goes off to the PPDXG gang, wonderful job.

/joe k8fc