[3830] IARU VA3NR SO CW QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, va3nr@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] IARU VA3NR SO CW QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2004 17:57:03 -0700
                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: VA3NR
Operator(s): VA3NR
Station: VA3NR

Class: SO CW QRP
QTH: z4
Operating Time (hrs): 15
Radios: SO2R

  160:    0     0       0
   80:    5     0       3
   40:   96     0      23
   20:  131     0      38
   15:   40     0       8
   10:    4     0       3
---------------------------
Total:  276     0      75  Total Score = 62,550

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

Fun, but hard work with QRP & simple antenna's. I missed many multipliers I felt
I could have worked with just a few more dB.  But really most of the time I was
amazed at the great ears out there... sometimes fluttery S3 DX would come right
back after one call, and there were lots of domestic contest regulars that heard
me on several bands...THANKS!

Main goal was 2-radio practice, and I did keep a different radio in each ear
almost continuously.  Sometimes CQing on one rig and getting a few calls, and
other times S&Ping two bands. (I have to remember to tune both VFO's in the same
direction else sooner or later the search pattern gets messed up.)  I don't
think two radios actually helped my score any; I suspect you really have to be
loud enough to run to see the benefit.  Maybe in Sweeps or NAQP... we'll see.

GL & 73, Chris VA3NR

Equipment:
15 & 40: FT840 & 40M Inverted-V at 30'
10, 20, 80: Mk-V Field & HF6V
Coax stubs, ICE BP filters for 80/40/20
Writelog, homebrew key and audio switching