[3830] NAQP CW K4RO Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k4ro@k4ro.net
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW K4RO Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2004 09:49:33 -0700
                    North American QSO Party, CW

Call: K4RO
Operator(s): K4RO
Station: K4RO

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: TN
Operating Time (hrs): 10
Radios: SO2R

  160:   60    25
   80:  168    41
   40:  233    51
   20:  212    49
   15:  110    36
   10:   36    13
-------------------
Total:  819   215  Total Score = 176,085

Club: Tennessee Contest Group

Team: TCG #1

Comments:

It was tough to stay inside on one of the most gorgeous
August days we've had in Tennessee in years.  I spent my
break times on the porch soaking in the beautiful weather.
But this was NAQP CW, and I wasn't going to miss a minute!

I think that for me personally, the NAQP may be the most
fun contest of them all.  It's got so many good things going
for it that I probably could not list them all.

- No amplifiers.  Less QRM.

- Very few frequency fights.  You can almost always
  find another CQ frequency if necessary.

- The MOVES!  What a rush to find a band open to an
  unexpected area and land a mult or two!

- The friendly nature.  I first learned most contesters
  names through the NAQP and Sprint contests.

- The challenge.  Deciding off-times can be a tough gamble.
  What bands to be on and when?

It's just non-stop fun for me, and I look forward to
all of the NAQP contests every year.

This contest was no exception, and may represent my best August
CW NAQP effort to date.  The power line noise (pole 10156007)
was raging just before the contest, but thankfully it died down
to a quiet roar before 1800z.  I might have been able to work
a few more on ten meters were it not for the ever-aggravating
line noise.  I probably didn't call the pole in on time.

Conditions seemed pretty fair, if not great.  Ten and fifteen
were the usual search and beg-fest, twenty was usable the entire
contest, and the low band QRN got fierce as the evening went on.
The west coast was particularly weak on the low bands, and beacons
like N6RO were about 30 dB down from their usual signals on 80m.
The few west coast stations that did make it thgough on 80m were
tough copy. I didn't work anything west of Iowa on 160m.

I operated SO2R about 95% of the contest.  I had a visitor show up
at 0400z and I only used one radio for that hour.  I finally got
to demonstrate this stuff to a friend who has been curious about my
contesting.  It probably cost me a couple dozen QSOs to explain
things in real time, but the fascination was definately kindled.

NAQP is the best SO2R contest hands down.  You can stay incredibly
busy just about any hour of the contest.  I made 277 band changes,
which may be a new personal record.  And what a blast it is to move
friends through the bands and find surprise openings and new multipliers.
Thanks to everyone who tried to QSY with me, and to all who called in.

C U on phone.

73

-Kirk  K4RO

And now for the numbers...

  160CW       60          60         60      25
   80CW      168         168        168      41
   40CW      234         233        233      51
   20CW      214         212        212      49
   15CW      112         110        110      36
   10CW       37          36         36      13

 Totals      825         819        819     215

    Final Score = 176,085 points.

 August 2004 CW NAQP top 25 QSO Distribution Report

   1.           Tx   95
   2.           Ca   82
   3.           Tn   60
   4.           Fl   40
   5.          vE3   40
   6.           Va   32
   7.           Pa   29
   8.           Ga   25
   9.           In   22
  10.           Nj   19
  11.           Wi   19
  12.           Mi   19
  13.           Nm   18
  14.           Mn   18
  15.           Ma   17
  16.           Oh   16
  17.           Ny   15
  18.           Nc   14
  19.           Nh   13
  20.           Co   12
  21.           Al   12
  22.           Ms   11
  23.           Ok   10
  24.           La   10
  25.           Mo   10

                         August 2004 CW NAQP Rate Sheet

  HOUR  160CW    80CW    40CW    20CW    15CW    10CW    TOTAL   ACCUM
  ----  ------  ------  ------  ------  ------  ------   -----   -----
   18       0       0       0       0      61      22      83      83
   19       0       0       0      23      35      12      70     153
   20       0       0       0      25      10       0      35     188
   21       0       0       8      55       1       0      64     252
   22       0       0      49      48       1       0      98     350
   23       0       0      40      42       0       0      82     432
    0       0       3      29       5       1       1      39     471
    1       1      60      21       3       1       1      87     558
    2       1       6      65      10       0       0      82     640
    3      15      54      15       1       0       0      85     725
    4      34      27       6       0       0       0      67     792
    5       9      18       0       0       0       0      27     819

  TOTAL    60     168     233     212     110      36

August 2004 CW NAQP Multiplier List

160BTH
Tn      Al      Tx      Ia      Mo      Il      La      Sc      Nh
Nc      Ky      Va      Fl      Ms      Mi      Vt      Me
Pa      In      vE3     Ga      Wi      Ok      Oh      Ny

 80BTH
Nh      In      Sc      vE9     Ga      Nc      Ca      Ut      Nv
Va      Tx      Md      Pa      La      Wi      De      Or
Tn      Al      Wv      Nj      vE3     Sd      Ny      Me
Oh      Mo      Mi      Ia      Mn      Ks      Ky      Ar
Ma      Ms      vE2     Fl      Ok      Il      Vt      Nm

 40BTH
Nc      Ms      Ok      Wi      Wv      Mt      Nm      De      Id
Mi      Sc      vE9     Mo      Ia      Md      Co      Wy      Vt
vE3     Nh      In      Oh      Nj      Ne      Sd      vO1     Nv
Al      Fl      Va      Il      vE1     vE2     Mn      Or
Ga      Tx      Ny      Ma      La      Az      Me      Ar
vY2     Tn      Ct      Pa      Nd      Ca      Ky      vE7

 20BTH
Mn      Wi      vE3     Wv      Ok      Ia      Ms      Nm      La      Wy
Ut      vE4     Ca      Ct      Vt      Wa      Nj      Va      Ny      vE2
Fl      Ga      Nh      Nc      vE1     Sd      Oh      vE6     Md      vE5
Tx      Pa      Me      Ma      Mo      Or      Mi      Tn      vE8     Id
Co      XE      In      Nv      De      Az      vY2     vE7     vE9

 15BTH
Tx      Nj      Tn      Ma      Ct      Vt      De      Al      Wi
Az      Nv      Pa      Or      Ut      Wa      La      Sd      Ks
Nm      Ok      Ga      Ny      Fl      Mn      Wv      XE      Wy
Ca      Va      Co      vE7     Ms      Nh      In      Nd      vE2

 10BTH
Tn      Nm      De      Ma      Ky      Wi      vE2
Tx      Ca      La      Mn      Sd      Nh

    Continent List  NAQP August 2004 CW

                   160    80    40    20    15    10    30    17    12    ALL
                   ---    --    --    --    --    --    --    --    --    ---
  USA calls   =     56   156   210   183   106    35     0     0     0    746
  VE calls    =      4    12    21    25     2     1     0     0     0     65
  N.A. calls  =      0     0     0     2     1     0     0     0     0      3
  S.A. calls  =      0     0     0     0     1     0     0     0     0      1
  Euro calls  =      0     0     2     1     0     0     0     0     0      3
  Afrc calls  =      0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0      0
  Asia calls  =      0     0     0     1     0     0     0     0     0      1
  JA calls    =      0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0      0
  Ocen calls  =      0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0      0
  Total calls =     60   168   233   212   110    36     0     0     0    819