[3830] NAQP CW K7SV Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k7sv@adelphia.net
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW K7SV Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2004 16:38:42 -0700
                    North American QSO Party, CW

Call: K7SV
Operator(s): K7SV
Station: K7SV

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: VA
Operating Time (hrs): 10
Radios: SO2R

  160:   44    24
   80:  119    36
   40:  242    51
   20:  244    56
   15:   75    28
   10:   29    15
-------------------
Total:  753   210  Total Score = 158,130

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Team: PVRC UNO

Comments:

Think I've finally got things set up to work full function SO2R. My attempt to
use an A3S on the same tower as the KT36XA and 2 el KLM 40 produced so much
cross-band crud that I kind of gave it up. Then when Paul K4JA started looking
at using verticals for same band multiplier searching, I thought about applying
the idea to solve my problem. I put a 20 meter vertical dipole in a tree about
250 feet from the tower The thought was the cross polarity and separation would
reduce the cross band products. It's not perfect, but the only combination that
is a problem at all is still 40 getting into 20. I kind of wondered how
effective the vertical dipole would be. Looking at the great stuff that N4GG and
N4OGW (and others) are doing with simple wires I decided to give it a shot. I
figured if nothing else I could S/P the loud guys, but calling CQ actually
worked well with a lot of responses. As far as this contest is concerned, I did
much better than last year, whatever that means. What's probably more important
is I now know that I have the capacity to work SO2R, maybe not to it's full
potential, but there's no doubt that I can produce higher scores, and for the
NAQP, I found I enjoyed it more than usual, and that's saying something because
I Like them a lot! Having said that, my apologies for the misqueues as this
novice found his wings! VY2, ND and SD were nice surprises. Mark is on PVRC
team UNO, so I knew KD4D was going to VY2. I worked Tree mobile prior to the
contest and he said he was going to work it from K7RE in SD. I knew that Arnie
was going to be visiting ND right around the contest, and when N6HotelCalifornia
called me on 20 I had my fingers crossed that he was in ND, and he was! Thanks
to VY1JA calling me on 20. I heard J calling stations on 40, but I lost track
before I could get his attention. And I wondered who the masked man was behind
the name "Colin" at W3DOS. It turned out to be our very own K9GY of course!
Bring on the Sprints!