[3830] NAQP SSB K5TR(WM5R) Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wm5r@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] NAQP SSB K5TR(WM5R) Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 15:48:52 -0700
                    North American QSO Party, SSB

Call: K5TR
Operator(s): WM5R
Station: K5TR

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: TX
Operating Time (hrs): 10
Radios: SO2R

  160:    9     4
   80:   32    17
   40:  119    39
   20:  538    54
   15:   23    10
   10:    3     3
-------------------
Total:  724   127  Total Score = 91,948

Club:

Team:

Comments:

George was once again very generous to let me operate the contest from his super
station on the hill.

The (only) previous time I've operated this contest as a single operator was the
August, 2001 NAQP phone contest, which was also the last time I operated SO2R in
any multi-band contest.  It took me a little while to get into it, but it seems
to be easier than I remember.  I only screwed things up a few times.

I had no idea when to take my off-times.  I was really concerned about the
possibility of storms in the evening.  We'd received about 5.5" of rain at my
house from evening thunderstorms in the two days before the contest, and
Saturday's forecast included a 40% chance of rain.  As it turns out, the
Saturday evening storms stayed far away, and I would have been better off using
more of my off-time in the mid-afternoon.  I took off four half-hour chunks -
two in the first half of the contest and two in the second half.  Had I to do it
over again, knowing the storms would not be a problem and that 15 meters would
be so terrible, I probably would have taken 1.5 hours off before 2300 UTC.

I was very disappointed at how bad 15 meters was at the start.  It never got any
better, and most of the QSOs I made there were with statsions that I had moved
from 20 meters - the vast majority of which were to my west.  10 meters was even
worse, although one of my three QSOs was a KH6 I moved from 20 meters to 15
meters and then to 10 meters - that was fun!  The other memorable QSOs were
working both of the active stations in the Yukon Territories, each on a
different band!  We tried 80 meters, but it didn't happen.

TR LOG computes 88 second radio QSOs, which is 12% of my total.  I have no idea
if this is typical of SO2R operators.