[3830] NAQP SSB W6LD(@W6YX) Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jfore@wsgr.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP SSB W6LD(@W6YX) Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 13:41:41 -0700
                    North American QSO Party, SSB

Call: W6LD
Operator(s): W6LD
Station: W6YX

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 10.0
Radios: SO2R

  160:   23     4
   80:   65    19
   40:  167    48
   20:  414    55
   15:   34    14
   10:    9     2
-------------------
Total:  712   142  Total Score = 101,014

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Team: NCCC #1

Comments:

Conditions were horrible.  All in all, still had a lot of fun and had a chance
to try out the SO2R box for the first time.

Mark (K6UFO), and I decided to try running two single-op operations from the
W6YX station, because it turned out that only two of us planned on operating
(usually we do NAQP at 'YX as a multi-two).  This allowed us to join an NCCC
team for a change.

Poor conditions made it especially challenging to be the operator on the less
active/open bands.  Working hard to make 30 contacts an hour on 40 before it had
opened, for instance, while the other guy maintained a rate of 200+ on 20 was
painful, especially when difficult multipliers called in and you knew that you
could have been there.  We tried to allocate the band opportunities between us
reasonably fairly, but it was not always easy and definitely affected the
results for both of us.

High points:

- a brief late afternoon opening on 15, when I made up in part for the absence
of mults that resulted from not being able to be on 15 for the first hour (if
only I'd been able to be running on 20 at this time, I suspect I could have
moved stations to 15 on the second radio and gotten several more mults, but the
opening was brief and I had to be happy with working the East coast stations
that discovered it on their own (unfortunately, only a handful, but enough to
add four or five mults)
- piggy backing off of N6EE successful effort to move a casual KH6 operator from
15 to 20 and then to 10, where he was quite loud
-quickly running through six bands with NI6T and, later in the day, running
through the balance of the six bands with W6OAT

Low points:

-struggling to work mults on 75 and 160 from 0330 to 0530z while K6UFO worked
rate and lots of additional mults on 40 (and earlier doing the same thing while
he cleaned out 20)
-watching K6UFO work almost as many mults on 75 in the last 30 minutes by
running stations (including four or five I still needed) while struggling on 160
to make a handful of contacts and mults

Despite these frustrations, the two single-op experiment was enjoyable as it
allowed us to share comments throughout the contest as well the pain of the
lousy band conditions.  :)