[3830] NA Sprint CW K3LR LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NA Sprint CW K3LR LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 09:56:07 -0700
                    NA Sprint CW Contest

Call: K3LR
Operator(s): K3LR
Station: K3LR

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Kansas
Operating Time (hrs): 4

   80:   71
   40:   97
   20:   96
---------------------

Club:

Team: North Coast Contesters

Comments:

What a week of changes! I had plane tickets and a QTH all set for a W4AN
memorial operation from VP2VAN. Work got in the way and had to cancel the trip
to VP2V.
My 2nd radio home at W5TM is in need of repair and Ed is moving to his new super
QTH. So at 2 PM (CDT) Saturday afternoon I figured that only being 100 miles
away from the rare KS multiplier and knowing W4AN's "whatever it takes"
attitude, I bought 150 ft of #14 wire, grabbed the laptop, the IC706 and headed
north having no idea where I would operate from (I've never been to Kansas
before). Arrived in Arkansas City, Kansas 45 minutes before the start. Newman
Park had AC power, a picnic table and two trees that were 20 feet tall spaced
150 feet. By the start all was ready except the computer would not send CW. No
problem, we'll send it all by hand while killing mosquitos (KS) with the
other.

This contest is amazing and I'm glad I made the effort. Conditions were just
great!

Even the local police were humored when the visited me at the end of the
contest. "So, can you tell me why you are sitting in the dark with a radio and a
laptop"? And "Please tell me what that wire is doing in the tree".

Talked to the "other" Tim (KL7WV) on the phone after the contest. No Kansas mult
for WV and no AK mult in the log for K3LR.

I miss you Bill Fisher.

KS to all,
Tim K3LR