[3830] NA Sprint CW W6JPL(W4EF) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w4ef@dellroy.com
Subject: [3830] NA Sprint CW W6JPL(W4EF) HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 23:49:02 -0700
                    NA Sprint CW Contest

Call: W6JPL
Operator(s): W4EF
Station: W6VIO

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 03:59

   80:   41   00:32
   40:  120   01:45
   20:  129   01:42
---------------------

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Team: SCCC #1

Comments:

HOUR   80CW    40CW    20CW    TOTAL   ACCUM
  ----  ------  ------  ------   -----   -----
    0       0       0      83      83      83
    1       0      23      42      65     148
    2       0      72       4      76     224
    3      41      25       0      66     290

  TOTAL    41     120     129

Rig: Yaesu FT1000D
Amp: Ameritron AL-82
Software: TRlog 6.78

Antennas
20: TH7DX at 60'
40: Cushcraft 2EL 40 at 70'
80: Inverted-Vee at 50'
    K9AY Loops for RX
    Delta Loop at 60'

First hour was okay, but I couldn't sustain the
momentum into hour 2. Seemed like I got beat up
pretty bad when I first went to 40m, so I went
back to 20m for a while before heading to 40m
for a 2nd try where things seemed to pick-up a
bit. Thought the new 80 meter "cloud burner"
inverted-vee would help with the close-in stuff,
but between the static crashes and the lackluster
West Coast activity, I didn't do as well as I had
hoped on 80m. On the plus side, I didn't feel as
flustered as I have in some past runnings, but I
am wondering if I was being too patient and
methodical for my own good this time. I sat and
waited out a number of full 2x exchanges, rather
than hunting for someone who was just finishing
or CQing figuring a QSO in the hand is better
than two in the bush. After looking at my rate
report, I may have to rethink this strategy,
however :)

Heard but did not work Kentucky (K4FXN) and VE1
(VE9DX). Never heard the Arkansas station.

Nice to hear the many familiar callsigns, but very
sad that K4AAA and K4OJ weren't in there mixing it
up.