[3830] TxQP N5DO SO CW HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] TxQP N5DO SO CW HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 18:46:20 -0700
                    Texas QSO Party

Call: N5DO
Operator(s): N5DO
Station: N5DO

Class: SO CW HP
QTH: Texas
Operating Time (hrs): 11
Radios: SO2R

  160:
   80:   12
   40:  123
   20:  213
   15:   64
   10:
    6:
    2:
  UHF:
----------------------------
Total:  412     0       0  Mults = 124  Total Score = 156,764

Club:

Comments:

I'm a faculty member/administrator at a small university in Texas (Sul Ross) and
Saturday was Family Day.  I had to attend the lunch, the football game, and
finally a newcomer's supper in the evening.  I thought at first that I would not
get on for the TQP at all, then thought I would get on for awhile on Saturday
morning.  Of course, I immediately became hooked on the contest and grudgingly
quit to go make an appearance on campus.  I only stayed for the first half of
the football game, then came home to operate some more.  The worst thing was
having to go to the supper -- it started at 6:30 p.m. and I didn't get home
until about 8:50 p.m.  At 8:53 I got on 80M and found the band was alive with
Texas stations!  Neat -- but I only had 7 minutes.  I wish I could have had an
hour or so -- oh well.  Sunday I thought I would work the whole time allowed,
but through a dumb mistake I quit at 2:00 p.m. local, while the contest
continued for another hour.

Again I throughly enjoyed this contest.  It's fun to be in the target area in a
contest and it is fun to try to work the Texas mobiles as they move from county
to county.  254 counties makes for a lot of possible multipliers!  Some years
there are wonderful conditions and from my QTH in west Texas I can work Texas
mobiles on 20M as well as the rest of the world.  However, this year I could not
work many Texas stations on 20M, and had to depend on 40M.  I could hear some
Texas mobiles on 20 and it was somewhat frustrating to call and call, but they
didn't hear me.  Chuck, NO5W, was especially noticeable -- I could recognize his
CW, listen hard, and copy his county.  However he only heard me a few times --
thanks for the good ears Chuck!  15M was in pretty good shape -- most people who
called were very loud, but there were not a lot of stations on 15M.  George,
K5KG/7, in Utah was very weak while stations in Washington were pounding in --
wierd propagation.

I hope I will have no conflicts next year and I can accurately figure out the
contest hours as well.  I'm looking forward to it.