[3830] CaQP NM6E Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, javierca@cisco.com
Subject: [3830] CaQP NM6E Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2004 21:21:54 -0700
                    California QSO Party

Call: NM6E
Operator(s): NM6E
Station: NM6E

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Sonoma
Operating Time (hrs): 14

  160:
   80:   26    108
   40:  122    160
   20:  105    115
   15:  105     45
   10:   73     64
    6:
    2:
--------------------

Club: Redwood Empire DX Association

Comments:

I had a blast in this contest. It's the first one I have done since I started my
'new' job (after getting RIF'ed) exactly 1 year to the date.  Since my new job
requires that I travel extensively, I spot checked the station upon my last trip
to California a little over 2 weeks ago.

Luckily, I brought with me to XE1 land my MFJ 418 Pocket Morse Tutor to bone up
on CW.  Everynight in the hotel, I set it at 25-28 wpm and just copied in my
head.  Even on the flight to/from Mexico City, I was copying CW in my head at
35,000 feet. The high school kid's coming back from a field trip to the Mexico
City pyramids who sat next to me asked if it was an outdated MP3 player.. Oh
well...  My high school field trips consisted of Trips to Monterrey Bay
Aquarium, Los Angeles etc.

I still asked for repeats on the number's but I just wanted to get it right.  In
the 2002 ARRL Sweep Steaks, my LCR's were quite dismal and in 2003, they were
much better, albeit, a much less focused effort due to my constant travels to
XE1 land for work.

I flew home Wednesday night from Mexico City and didn't start setting up my
operating position until Friday evening due to family commitments and work
onThursday and Friday.  I had to clean up my shack due to all the work stuff.

With my new job (I still work for the same company but focus on Latin America),
I now telecommute almost 98% of the time and find my shack/office full of
network drawings, manuals, expense report envelopes, junk mail etc....

Fortunately all worked well with respect to the radio, amp, antennas, with
having had no 'heavy' use other than an occasional power up test in almost 1
year. I had a lot of dust from lack of use!

At about 11:30AM Saturday, the true test for my setup was put to the test. My 16
month old daughter loves the animated cartoon "Dora the Exploradora" that comes
on Nick TV started. I had installed 'a hefty amount' of Ferrites when I
originally put the station up back in 2002/2003 on the telephones, TV etc...

Once Dora finished at 12pm, the unforseen test occurred. My XYL didn't think
about it, but she inserted the Barney VHS tape and started to play it.  We
simply put the VCR into the entertainment system back in March. Since I hadn't
done any HF contesting/DXing in a LONG time, I never put the Ferrites on the
cables.

Barney was shredded to peices when I transmitted on 10mtrs CW/SSB.  Luckily, I
had cleaned out my shack Friday night and organized my essential First Aid Kit
for Contesting.  I had bought a bunch of various types of Ferrites back when the
NCCC did a group buy. It paid off handsomely.

A quick 15 minute break from running on 10mtrs allowed me to install 3 1/2" snap
on Ferrites on the Audio & Video feeds and have Barney up and running on the VCR
to the TV with NO MORE Barney "monster" sounds and sliced up big purpole things
on the screen!!

DAD WAS A HEROE!!!!!!!

This allowed me to play radio for the entire day (14 hours) on Saturday as my
daughter wacthed TV and my XYL did the MOM HONEY-DO's in anticipation of our
second child, a boy--Xavier, due in 4 weeks..  November 5th!

ARRL Sweep Steaks may not have to much activity from me depending on wether a
trip to or from the delivery room occurs to Marin General!

I worked some DX in the contest, the best one was CU2JT on 15m CW.

Overall, I am pleased with my results but felt that my 'radio contesitng pass'
was too short for 14 hours on Saturday.

I could have done more but with all my traveling and not too much quality time
with the family, I guess I couldn't expect more radio time.

Next year, hopefully I can put in a full 24 hours. I never expected to put this
much effort without proper planning and get such a good rate on CW and SSB.

I can't wait for next year to plan it correctly and improve my 80mtr wire
antenna. That's the weak part of my station. Everything else, I can't complain
and am happy with.

Sunday was spent at Baby's-R-Us and at the various automobile dealerships
looking to expand in anticipation of my son.

Equipment Used:

Yaesu FT-1000MP MK-V
Alpha 87-A
M2 KT-36XA (10-15-20)
M2 40M-1LA (40/17mtr full size rotatable dipole)
80mtr Dipole.

See you in the next contest!

Javier NM6E