[3830] CQWW SSB K1AK(WA2GO) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB K1AK(WA2GO) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 23:49:23 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: K1AK
Operator(s): WA2GO
Station: W2XL

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: ENY
Operating Time (hrs): 15

  160:    0     0        0
   80:    0     0        0
   40:   11     7        9
   20:  275    20       57
   15:  735    21       82
   10:  225    19       70
------------------------------

Club:

Comments:

Many thanks to Bob, W2XL, for allowing me to do a daytime-only "time share" of
his fine station, which he was using for his own SOSB/40 effort while the sun
was down. His S02R setup truly sets the standard for comfort, efficiency and
ease of use. Also thankful for the twin PBT on the IC-756 Pro-II - it's a
wonderful thing on SSB.

Overall, I was EXTREMELY disappointed with the audio quality of well over half
the stations I heard calling CQ. It's truly sad when you have a station that is
20-over-9 and completely in the clear, and yet you can't even copy his callsign
because of the overmodulation distortion. I had fantasies throughout the contest
of recording some of these stations and letting them hear how awful they sound.
I thought some of them would figure it out after being asked for a million
repeats despite knowing they are loud. Yet right up to the end of the contest, I
continued to hear more of the same.

Phone contests could be so much more pleasurable for all of us, if everyone
would endeavor to confine their signal to at most a 3kHz piece of spectrum real
estate, if not less!! Another fantasy I had was a worlwide contest boycott of
stations with poor audio - just don't work 'em until they clean up their act!
Anybody want to sign ;

By the way, this score is for the Hudson Valley Contesters and DXers Club,
although the "Club" pick list on the web submit form does not show that club for
some unknown reason.

73,

John
WA2GO  (op of K1AK at W2XL station)