[3830] CQWW SSB N1IK SOAB(A) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n1ik@n1ik.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB N1IK SOAB(A) HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 07:00:21 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: N1IK
Operator(s): N1IK
Station: N1IK

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: Windham, NH
Operating Time (hrs): 31

  160:   15     7       10
   80:   99    15       54
   40:  147    14       64
   20:  413    30      116
   15:  395    26      109
   10:  262    25       94
------------------------------

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

What an AWESOME time!  Confirms my love of any kind of contesting.  Amazing!

I worked like a maniacal maniac to prepare the station for the contest.  Five
days before the contest, I literally had no station.  Nothing was set-up and the
antenna situation, unchanged from last season, was a mess.  (The only antenna
that was up was the R8.)

During these five days I put my whole station together and did a lot of antenna
work:

1) Installed a SteppIR 4 element antenna on a roof tower at roughly 60?.
2) Built a 40M dipole and got it up about 50?
3) Repositioned and the 80M inverted V dipole and got it and the ends up 10 more
feet.
4) Built a 3/8?s wave vertical for 80M from ON4UN?s book, tuned it and got it
working.

Then I assembled the station.  I made the FT1000MP MARKV Field the station
radio, and the IC-756PROII is now the backup.

A note on the SteppIR:  The 180 flip is amazingly handy.  For a wile I was
working JA?s and looking for JA?s, but was able collect new South America
stations as they came up by flipping the SteppIR in two seconds to make a Q and
then flipping back in two seconds.

Also, having the R8 on hand for an always-available omni antenna was very
handy.

Highlights:
Blowing through the massive pileup to work V55V on the 2nd shot. Yeah baby!  All
the cool DX worked with ease.

Lowpoints:
Didn?t have anywhere near as much fun on 80M as I thought I would.

Station:
FT1000MP MARKV Field
Alpha 87A

Antennas:
SteppIR 4 element
40M dipole
80M inverted V dipole
80M 3/8?s vertical
160M inverted L (or is Pinus Shuntfedus)
Cushcraft R8