[3830] SS CW K3KU Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS CW K3KU Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 17:23:37 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: K3KU
Operator(s): K3KU
Station: K3KU

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: MDC
Operating Time (hrs):

------------
  160:
   80:  244
   40:  247
   20:  109
   15:   45
   10:
------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

A humbling experience.  Several station improvements: replaced 35-year-old Drake
twins with TS-850; antenna (my only one, a dipole) higher than before; finally
got computer logging.  But score down from my previous best, and it was NOT all
because of the aurora.  Started about 00Z Saturday night, on 40.  Took me about
10 minutes to make my first QSO.  S&P did not work at all.  I kept looking at
the 850 trying to figure out if I had hit some button that put the TX and RX on
differnt planets.  Afraid to call CQ in case I was split freq.  Finally got it
going, and then it took me too long to realize that the band was LONG.  Went to
80 with great trepidation; I've always been real weak there.  Whaddayaknow!?!?
It worked!  But I sure did not set the world afire.  I must still be weak -- got
asked for LOTS of fills, and kept getting beat out in S&P (including at least
once by QRP K3TEJ on 40 or 80).  Lots of other strategic errors, I'm sure.  Got
VY1JA on the firt try (great timing in the pile up, or great luck).  Never heard
AK, and the only PAC I heard was the KH7X mess.  I found him before the pile was
horrific, but not a chance.  The dits in his numbers had about the same rep rate
as the aurora buzz.  Section #76 was LAX (!!!!) on my QSO #535, followed
immediately by SK and a little later by AB.  At least I was in the right place
for those.  So, 11-1/2 months to figure out what I did wrong and figure out what
I should do about the antenna.  I CAN HARDLY WAIT!!!

And (see "Operator Error" thread on CQ-Contest), I have to decide if I should
withdraw my log so the guys to whom I sent the wrong number do not get
penalized.

73, Art K3KU