[3830] K8MR Single Op Multi Station CW SS

To: mrrc@contesting.com, 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] K8MR Single Op Multi Station CW SS
From: Jimk8mr@aol.com
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 11:33:46 EST
I'm back in Ohio after a week on vacation in Florida ( a great way to
recover from SS!), so here's the report on CW SS:

            80    40    20    15    10    TOTAL    MULT    SCORE    TIME

N8TR    60    154    70    24    18    326        69        44,988       4:51
AC8E    272  128    0      0        0     400        74        59,200
5:15
K8MR    27    247    41    40    47    402        75        60,300       5:43
K8AZ     0   285    97    54    55   491        75        73,650       6:49

Total    359    814    208 118   120   1619     79        238,138      22:38

All High Power, Unassisted

Club:  Mad River Radio Club

Missed:

ALL:      NT
N8TR:    NNY DE LA ID IA NE MB AB PAC VI
AC8E:   MS WY ND MB PAC
K8MR:   VT DE NL AK
K8AZ:    MB SK PAC AK

Things got off to a good start at N8TR.  Of course here I'm on an even
competitive footing as everyone else is a new station on the band as  well.
The
two radio operation went well, especially with Pete's ACOM  instant tune amp.

AC8E's time also went well. As noted by others, 80 was great, and had more
activity (up to 3585 or so) than I've seen in many years.

At home things became more interesting.  I had put up a 40 M  dipole in the
tree behind my house, so I could do SO2R with the PRO-67A on  the high bands.
Without filters I had some 40M noise creeping into  the high bands, but it was
tolerable.  However, the first time I  went to 10 to work WP3R and a couple
of other guys, when I went back to 40  there were no signals.  I couldn't
figure out why 10M would have taken  out the TS-830S.  But soon I suspected
that
there was something else  afoot.  There wasn't much else on 20 either, but 15
and 10 still had  signals, so I worked a bunch of guys up there, including VE4,
ID, etc.

After about half an hour of post flare operation, I took a break  to get some
food and look at the GEOS data to see what the sun had been up to.  While
upstairs a heard a few loud bangs, and thought maybe the neighbor  kids were
playing with fireworks (not normal for them).  After a couple of  bangs I
decided
maybe there sounds were't coming from outside, so I went  downstairs and found
the basement filled with smoke, pouring from the Raytrack  power supply.  So
I quickly pulled the plug, and opened some doors and  windows to air out the
house.

With the smoke cleared, the Raytrack was clearly dead, but for some  reason
the Alpha would not key up either.  I still don't know why, but  when I checked
it out a day ago it was OK.  But I had my planned  time at K8MR completed, so
I headed off to W8AJ.

I knew in advance there were rotator problems and line noise at  W8AJ.  I had
been there Saturday morning to check things out, and  determined that the
rotator turned but the indicator was shot.  I also  found the line noise was
coming from a transformer on a pole behind the next  door neighbor's house.  I
decided that for a few hours on Sunday  afternoon it would be tolerable,
barely.
While there I fired up the rig  and checked out the antennas, including
finding K0AD sending CQ SS at  11am local.  Called him and chatted for a bit,
surprising him that he was  being heard doing his pre contest testing.

When I got to Alan's on Sunday, I pushed the power switch on the IC-781 and
nothing happened.  No grunts, groans, smoke, etc.  Just dead.  I  checked and
found AC on the cord coming in, checked the fuse, etc.   Nothing.  I spent
some time on the phone with Alan (he was headed back from  a weekend in
Chicago),
and decided there was nothing more I could  do.  So I called K8AZ to warn him
I was on the way.

I gave Tom the chance to send me, and the black clouds following me, away
before they could wreak any damage at his house, but he kindly took me in
anyway.  And as always, his station rocked.  Of course as the aurora
progressed
the bands did not rock, although I was able to sit on 7035 for the  last 2+
hours, with the CW speed slower than usual for me, and pretty steadily  keep
working people through the aurora at 60/hour.  I stuck with it until  about the
last 30 minutes, when I went QRT so I could get home and get a start  on
packing
for the trip to FL the next day.

I finished about 8000 points, or 50 qsos, behind WP3R, my  standard apples
vs. oranges goal. But I did have more total points than the  apparent second
place score of N2IC.  This still is clearly the  way to have fun on Sunday (and
Saturday too!) in CW SS. And a fine way to  pile up points for the club
competition.

73  -  Jim  K8MR