[3830] SS SSB KB0VVT Multi-Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kb0vvt@att.net
Subject: [3830] SS SSB KB0VVT Multi-Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 19:17:15 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: KB0VVT
Operator(s): KB0VVT, K0OU, KG0UT, KG0US
Station: KB0VVT

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: MO
Operating Time (hrs): 24

------------
  160:
   80:  197
   40:  434
   20:  958
   15:   76
   10:   28
------------

Club: KANSAS CITY DX CLUB

Comments:

Steve Lufcy K0OU was gracious enough to join forces with us again for the phone
portion of SS as he did in the CW SS.  Please see our SS CW post.

We were able to work through a little adversity during this contest.  I think
you guys call it Murphy?s Law.

The 756 PRO II receiver decided not to work just before the contest.  Luckily,
Steve brought one of his radios.

The second radio is even more useless running barefoot using a crippled R7
during SS phone than it was during SS CW.

A transmit/receive relay was sticking on the radio used to run with the
amplifier.  It looked like we were kick starting the foot switch in order to
free up the relay so we could receive.  We swapped the two radios during one of
the breaks.

What is that magic marker smell that is coming from the second radio when the
primary radio with amplifier is operating on a dipole on another band but is
relatively close to the sloper used by the second radio!

For what ever reason,  40 meters at full power really causes interference around
our house. The interference on 160, 80, 20, 15, and 10 meters is nothing
compared to operating full power on 40 meters.  The second radio is totally
unusable while operating the main radio on 40 meters at full power.  It is
unusable on 80 meters or 20 meters while the main radio is running on 40 meters.
 That is even with us using Dunestar 600 filters on both radios as well as a low
pass filter on the output of the amplifier.  Perhaps it is because the Hygain
80/40 dipole is relatively close to the ground with the center at 45 feet while
the ends are at 15 feet.  It is configured parallel and close to our house so
maybe it is coupling into the house wiring real well.  If so, why does not the
80 meter portion of the dipole cause massive interference.  The interference is
so bad that it completely blanks our Television connected to an outside antenna.
 This is after we have place many type 31 ferrites on the AC line and antenna
cable.  We also have a AC line strip with filters as well as an ICE filter with
3 filtered AC outlets along with TV filter.  It was so bad during CW SS that the
neighbors motion activated outside light was sending CQ using our callsign much
of the night.

Anyway thanks to everyone that gave our small station so much attention this
weekend.

Happy Holidays,

Rebecca KB0VVT
Steve K0OU