[3830] CQWW CW W3YY SOSB(A)/40 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW W3YY SOSB(A)/40 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 17:55:47 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: W3YY
Operator(s): W3YY
Station: W3YY

Class: SOSB(A)/40 HP
QTH: VA
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:
   80:
   40:  705    39      129
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------------------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

I decided to try a 40-meter single-band effort this year.  Friday night was
wonderful.  Before 0800 the first night, I had worked DXCC on 40.  The morning
grayline opening was great to Asia with VU, 9M6, 9M8, JT, BY, BV, HS, VR2, and
variety of Asiatic Russians, and JA's.

During the day on Saturday, I spent too much time working around the house.
Consequently, Saturday night I really had to drag myself to the rig.  Had some
decent runs into EU, but generally the second night was not nearly as
interesting.

Overall, I was disappointed with my QSO total, but I was in more of a DX'ing
mode this weekend and that's always bad for contest work.  Sitting and running
stations just didn't appeal to me that much this weekend, although I tried to
spend some time at this the second day.

Fun times:  Having Zones 2, 29, and 36 answer my CQ.  (That did appeal to me)

Spots:  I know I contributed at least one busted spot, but I couldn't believe
how many bad spots were being sent.  SP1S for HG1S, 4U5UN for 4U1UN, etc.  Then
some left their rig split from a former band when spotting and the spotting
software dutifully reported 40-meter stations listening on 20!  Of course this
also shows up as a needed country in WriteLog and caused my rig to go split and
try to transmit on 20 into the 40-meter amp and antenna!  What fun.

Anyway, it was a great time.  I wished I could have gotten all 40 zones on 40,
but 39 will have to do for this year.

73, Bob - W3YY