[3830] CQWW CW ES5TV SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, tonno@lhv.ee
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW ES5TV SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 12:36:42 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: ES5TV
Operator(s): ES5TV
Station: ES5TV

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Jogeva
Operating Time (hrs): 48
Radios: SO2R

  160:  371    15       53
   80:  588    25       85
   40: 1069    34      111
   20:  786    31       81
   15:  581    34       94
   10:  265    21       67
------------------------------

Club: Tartu Contest Team

Comments:

Over 500 Qs more than last year but 350k points less. Lucky to have even that
many QSOs and mults on 10m. Propagation to east on 10m was quite good in the
morning although some strong static noise unfortunately.

40m was the money band and glat to have 300+ US stations there. Generally 1.72
QSO point average is really lousy of course but what can you do...

No big problems to stay awake for 48h, getting actually used to it and I figured
I could easily apply more often in everyday life and work every second night
instead of sleeping:) Still I was quite depressed on my diminishing CW coping
ability in the last 10 hours. My mind was wondering on even more absurd paths
than KT1V-s instead of coping the calls (really enjoyed your write up, Ted:)

Anyway, highlights:
- presence of 2nd radio with 500 Qs
- LP JA run on 20m Sunday morning (don't get to work JAs LP very often
anywhere)
- 1st time 5 QSOs in minute (K3KO, KM4M, N1DG, VO1HO, RU1A on 15m)
- 8Q7DV on 6 bands!!! They called me on 160!! Thanks guys! Other 6 banders:
RV1AT, RT9W, LY7A, ES6Q and UU7J (fantastic band coverage by UU7J guys - they
were always among the first to call when I got to new band!)
- 9N7BCC and 5U5Z on 5 bands. 5U guys also called in on 160m!
- Our friend Ramon, XE1KK calling in on 40 and 15m for precious double mult.
- Champ finding me from XU7ADE on 4 bands from 10 to 40! Big thanks!
- S9A calling me on 160m an hour before the end of the contest with huge local
signal!! I failed to break their 10m pile up with me 2nd radio before although
trying for 20 minutes:)
- Smart guys at ZL6QH. On Sunday at about ZL sunrise I discovered that I need ZL
double mult on 80m and thought that well, it does not hurt to try and went to CQ
on 80m about 10m before their sunrise at 16:43, turned my 4Square NE and kept
fingers crossed. 20 minutes passed with some nice JAs but I was losing hope and
then heard their nice signal coming in at 16:52. Beautiful. That was followed by
ZM1A at 17:14!!

Funny stuff: US multi ops who are very diligent in working every spot. That is
always a funny experience when the rates are slow on 2nd day and you suddenly
develop a huge pile up of big guns. You don't have to guess twice what
happened:) This time K0BHC had spotted me as ES5TX at 3:18 on 40m on Sunday. All
of a sudden a massive pile up developed headed by all LPL-s and XX-s. Knowing
the probable cause I did not answer anybody and gave my call 2-3 times. LPL and
XX went away but the other guys did not care:) So giving my call slowly after
every QSO worked following DUPES in a row: VE5UA, K1RX, K0RF, K2LE, N0NI, W8ZA,
K8IA, N5ZM, W4ARM, K4TD. Good job guys:)) I just can't help mocking you:))

73 to all and till next time
Tonno
ES5TV